· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Post (need tips) get me started

0 Not allowed!
    I have my tank on getting used to its daily use, with its filter and the oxygen on every day i feed it 2 tiny pebbles of fish food. In a week when my 14 gallon tank is ready for fish i am Planning on getting Guppies to breed (a male and a female) and 3 neon tetras ( a little school ). After a while i will buy a Pleco, which should i get? Are live plants worth it or should i get plastic plants, do i have to get wood for my pleco? Please i beg, Somebody give me tips

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    14 gallons is a bit small for the majority of pleco species. Generally even for the smaller sizes 20G Long would be a better size.

You could do some alternate bottom feeders though.. perhaps a small otto school or some pygmy or habrosus corys would be a better option.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I recommend doing some reading in the plants section if the forum before looking into buying any plants.

Welcome to AC
    29 gallon cichlid tank
    10 gallon kids livebearers tank
    5 gallon dirt planted tank

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, with the rate that guppies breed, I would suggest having this tank for a guppy only tank. There's no reason to get a school of neons unless you can get at least a full school of them.

I'd do a simple route and get some hornwort or java fern and just allow it to float in the tank for your guppies to hide in. That way you won't have the expense of upgrading lights in order to grow plants.

Simple is always good until experience level increases. You need no pleco in that size tank. A couple apple snails might be nice, tho? Check on the links about cycling the tank.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That tank is way too small for plecos, including "dwarf" ones like a clown pleco. Even the little guys put out a tremendous bio-load. If you want a scavenger, a couple of cories or otos will do the trick. But always add fish SLOWLY to a newly established tank, allowing your biological filter time to grow more bacteria. What type of filtration do you have on this tank?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah if your just breeding guppies then not even sure if you want tetras or bottom feeders in it... More things to eat the fry.

Also the plants that sit on top, as well as lining the bottom with plants (live or fake, and doesn't have to be high, you make it kinda look like grass) for the babies to hide in is a good idea
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by youngbreedy15
    I have my tank on getting used to its daily use, with its filter and the oxygen on every day i feed it 2 tiny pebbles of fish food. In a week when my 14 gallon tank is ready for fish i am Planning on getting Guppies to breed (a male and a female) and 3 neon tetras ( a little school ). After a while i will buy a Pleco, which should i get? Are live plants worth it or should i get plastic plants, do i have to get wood for my pleco? Please i beg, Somebody give me tips
    I assume you a feeding your tank fish food to produce ammonia in order to cycle it - do not assume it will be ready for any fish in a week - are you checking your water parameters? Only by doing that and knowing what the readings should be, will you know whether you can add fish.

And I would take the advice given here regarding stocking this size tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you get guppies you need a m:f ratio of AT LEAST 1:2, better is 1:3. You need to have lots of females compared to males otherwise the males will harase the females. If you go with neons you need to get at least 5 or 6. 3 is not a proper school. To me that does not count as a school.

I would skip the pleco as well. You would be suprised as to how much fun a snail can be. I especially love the Gold Mystery Snails. They have great personalities.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

9. Default thanks all :)

0 Not allowed!
    from what ive read 2 people said snails are good and most have told me that not to get a pleco for my small tank :) well im going to get guppies to breed with some plants for them to hide in is that a good tank for 15g with like 5 guppies? 3 female 2 male? :) thanks guys AC has been pretty interesting and i will start learning about fish thanks all <3
    10g 6 guppies, 4 golden snails.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    I assume you a feeding your tank fish food to produce ammonia in order to cycle it - do not assume it will be ready for any fish in a week - are you checking your water parameters? Only by doing that and knowing what the readings should be, will you know whether you can add fish.

And I would take the advice given here regarding stocking this size tank.
    i havent checked my water but i am waiting till its past the foggy stage after 3 more days im assumed its going to be ready for my fish
    10g 6 guppies, 4 golden snails.