· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Fat African Dwarf Frog

0 Not allowed!
    African Dwarf Frogs often die because of starving to death. This just kills me. I also understand how it happens.

They're very slow and apparently can't see very well (I've read this, but don't know for sure!) so they are usually the last to eat (that I do know for sure.)

I bought 40" long 3/4" diameter tube to deliver the food - blood worms, shrimp, frog pellets, something different every day - to a "bowl" which is a little seashell I got for donating to an aquarium program for feeding otters....anything that is a non toxic like small bowl type thing works.

I've trained my frogs to eat there so every time they see the tube they "frog" up to it. Frog is now also a verb in our household.

I have dwarf chain loaches (very fast and feisty) so I put some food elsewhere in the tank first to distract the loaches so the frogs have time to gather themselves.

Thing is, I just got four more baby frogs who were a little skinny coming from the aquarium store, including one with a bum foot, so now everyone else is temporarily a bit overfed while I ensure these babies get what they need.

While I train the baby frogs to find the food in the seashell (or sometimes delivered right in front of their noses until they learn) this is what has happened to my darling 'Snowy', the eldest frog. He got FAT! But he wears it well so I thought I'd share. He's really cute.

If you have ADF's in a community tank, it is fun and wise to learn how to feed them properly.

Here is a photo of Snowy for your enjoyment and please always make sure your little ADF's get enough food! It is a challenge to keep ADF's in a community tank, and a Joy!

Froggy love!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Waterfroggy; 12-31-2011 at 08:09 AM.
    African Dwarf Frogs, Betta, Dwarf Chain Loaches, Otocilclus, Ember Tetras, Amano Shrimp in one magical 31 gallon tank

Two pea puffers in another tank!

0 Not allowed!
    He's fat alright and cute. I have no clue about the others. Never had a frog but have been tempted a time or two.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My Sasha is really fat too. I had two when I first got them, they were both skinny. I kept them in the same tank, and fed them the exact same way (with sinking pellets), but Sasha would always swim to the top and eat all the pellets before they sunk, and my other frog, Bonty, starved to death while Sasha just kept getting bigger and bigger. Now she's about as big around as a quarter... I think they are cuter that way...

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow. I thought my frog Sunny was fat! Shes not that fat though lol. Thats a big frog! He is so cute though, thats for sure! Training babies is so hard! I have a little baby male ( think) that ive been trying to bowl train. There's nothing in the tank to eat his food thankfully, but sometimes he lets it get all nasty instead of eating it. Sunny learned much faster than him with her bowl.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything