· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardening Tools

Default Gardening Tools

0 Not allowed!
    Looking for gardening tool experiences and stories.

I tried a Swedish Bush Axe...it works but I don't have enough stamina to get very far with it...

Yesterday I tried a bill hook. Works...but...not as easily as I hoped...

Now I am thinking to add a pruning saw to my growing arsenal.

Any suggestions? Bucksaw style or pruning saw style?

There is a limit to how many little used tools I want to accumulate...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

1 Not allowed!
    Oh this excites me to no end!! I have a very special place in my heart for gardening tools. I like a foldable pruning saw myself because I can just stick it in my back pocket and not worry about it cutting me or anything.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

2 Not allowed!
    oh, and as for me, there is NO limit to how many tools I want. hahaha I look at catalogs of tools all the time. I think some of the best investments I made are my Japanese hori hori knife (save the jokes Matt) and my small hand cultivator. It is a Korean style and has twice as many tines and the handle is just perfect. Very effective.
    Here is a link to the kind of knife I have. I use it for digging in the garden and I love the serrated edge because if I hit any roots, I just cut them instead of painfully hacking at them.
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...-knife-sheath/
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Happy 4th of July! - Taurus Here's to the 4th ;-) - steeler58 Congratulations my friend ;-) - steeler58 For being selected a moderator - fishkeeper4 Thanks for the rep!! - afro123 
    Cheers to the NFL, starting in 8 weeks - Sandz Congratulations, moderator!!! - fishmommie Congrats Mr. Mod! - Rue here's to 10,000 don't ever slow down ;-) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. - cm12setx 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I think some of the best investments I made are my Japanese hori hori knife (save the jokes Matt) and my small hand cultivator.
    You're trying to get me banned, aren't you?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Here is a link to the kind of knife I have. I use it for digging in the garden and I love the serrated edge because if I hit any roots, I just cut them instead of painfully hacking at them.
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...-knife-sheath/
    This looks awesome! I'm adding it to my gardening wish list too.

Awards Showcase

You need an AC fish to distract you from the rude truckers... - Rue A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 Merry X-mass and thank you - Cliff Because Goldfish are awesome :) - Xavier Thx for the rep - kingkarter 
    merry xmas XD - genocidex for your kind words! - C-Dub Welcome Skinner! - Rue Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy B-Day! - Rue 

3 Not allowed!
    Not a lot of exotic stuff for me, but stuff I need for the work I need to do.

I have a skinny two-tined fork with a very long handle for inserting into the holes of the netting of my deer barricades to dig out weeds that grow within the confines of the barricades, then a 12" tweezers I use to grab those dug weeds and lift them out of the netting.

I have certain plants that have to be caged, netted and the netting anchored into the ground with garden staples in order to keep deer from eating them. I would NEVER be able to enjoy my hollyhocks, Oriental lilies, delphiniums or others if I didn't do this. But weeds do eventually sprout inside the barricades, so these skinny, long-handled tools are very handy for removing them without have to tear the confinements apart.

I also have a favorite trowel with a pointed tip that's great for digging out weeds that have long roots.

I have several pairs of gardening gloves that are skin tight so the tips of the fingers don't flop over. They're like a second skin, and are padded with a thick rubber-like material in the palms so I can pull up thistles with my fists and not get stuck by their spines.

These are the tools I use most often.

Then there are the clippers for deadheading and the multi-faceted trigger-grip hose sprayer so I can water in various directions at different velocities. Great for refilling my small garden pool when the water evaporates from it.

I also have a spindle sprinkler that's about four feet high. The hose attaches to a valve at the base, and a pointed anchor with a foot pedal helps me secure it into the ground. The sprinkler head rotates rapidly in a full circle, and sprinkles an entire 30-foot radius. I set that up in the beds and let it rip for a good hour or more in the early morning or cool evening to tide over my flowers during these hot days.

These tools are a godsend, especially since my garden is HUGE, and if I didn't have these, maintaining it would be extremely difficult.

Now, if I could just find a tool that would make the gopher UNinvite himself from my garden. My lazy cats couldn't care less ...
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

1 Not allowed!
    I went back and bought the long handled pruning saw. I am hoping it gives me more levrage and flexibility.

I have made a mental note about the hori hori.

Experimental hack and slash weekend planned!

0 Not allowed!
    The pruning saw is wonderful! Unfortunately, in my zeal to saw off branches, I didn't notice one of the screws coming loose...so I lost it somewhere amongst the shrubbery. Now I just need to get around to finding a replacement screw...never seen this kind before, so not sure what to ask for...

Awards Showcase

Happy 4th of July! - Taurus Here's to the 4th ;-) - steeler58 Congratulations my friend ;-) - steeler58 For being selected a moderator - fishkeeper4 Thanks for the rep!! - afro123 
    Cheers to the NFL, starting in 8 weeks - Sandz Congratulations, moderator!!! - fishmommie Congrats Mr. Mod! - Rue here's to 10,000 don't ever slow down ;-) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. - cm12setx 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

2 Not allowed!
    Bring the remaining screw with you to the hardware store, and have them match it up.

Mine actually has wingnuts and screws.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

1 Not allowed!
    I think wingnuts would be handy. Just easier to check and tighten while you're working...