· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Keeping ADF in tank with hood cutout

0 Not allowed!
    I wanted to add a couple ADFs to my 10 gallon betta tank. The only problem I see is that there is a cutout in the tank's hood to accommodate the filter. I've already lost 2 Amano shrimp in my 20 gallon when they shrimped their way out of a similar cutout, and I have to believe that this will happen with the frogs.

Will they be ok in a 10" high tank with a filter cutout? Or will I wake up to find dead ADFs?

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't risk it, mine have never seemed interested in escaping, but I've heard about it lots.

I actually sealed my hood off where the intake and out take hoses are with the silver tape that is used for air duct sealing.

It's flexible and stays in the shape you make it. Just make sure you cover the sticky side with more tape so no one gets attached to it on the inside! The only sticky bits should be attached to the hood or tank.
    African Dwarf Frogs, Betta, Dwarf Chain Loaches, Otocilclus, Ember Tetras, Amano Shrimp in one magical 31 gallon tank

Two pea puffers in another tank!

0 Not allowed!
    I use nylon screening to seal gaps, since it aids in gas exchange. I glue the screening down with a little diluted (about 60 percent distilled water, 40 percent glue) white glue.

Bought a roll of the screening ages ago at Lowes, cost me about ten bucks, and as small as the gaps are, will last forever.

Have several fish species that are infamous as jumpers, so I'm an old hand on sealing hood gaps.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

0 Not allowed!
    That's cool, thanks. I think it is a better solution for the gas exchange reason.

I love the AC!

I'm goin' to get me some netting!

Thanks Dave.

Except in my case I think I'll still tape it or I would have to re-do the glue it every time I remove the hood, which is a lot since I'm still a bit of a newbie and changing things up the more I learn here and from Google searches.
    African Dwarf Frogs, Betta, Dwarf Chain Loaches, Otocilclus, Ember Tetras, Amano Shrimp in one magical 31 gallon tank

Two pea puffers in another tank!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is exactly what I figured, thanks for the reassurance. I found some wire mesh at Michaels the other day and sized it down to fit the tank, and then cut out around the filter leaving practically no gap.

So far the little guys are doing great!