2 Synodontis Catfish

Here are my filters:
    AC70 says its good for 70g
    Penn Plax Cascade 700 says its good for 65g

Here are the results:
    Recommended temperature range: 75.2 - 80.6 F. [Display in Celsius]
    Recommended pH range: 7.6 - 9.
    Recommended hardness range: 10 - 30 dH.

Warning: You should add more aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 79%.
    Recommended water change schedule: 62% per week. (You might want to split this water change schedule to two separate 38% per week)
    Your aquarium stocking level is 176%.
    Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended

I've been at this capacity since June 2010. Should I be worried? I only do 20% once per week. Am I defying science? haha... or are my fish suffering?
    55 Gl: 15 African Cichlids, 2 Synodontis -
    Filters - Aquaclear 110 and PennPlax 700
    Watch a Video of My Cichlid Aquarium!

29 Gl: 1 Black Moor, 1 Fantail Goldfish -
    Filters - Aquaclear 70
    Watch a Video of My Goldfish Aquarium!

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    what do your water parameters say?

Aqadvisor assumes (unless you tell it otherwise) that all your fish are at full size. If they're still young then you may not need as much maintenance... but that's for your nitrate levels to dictate.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    what do your water parameters say?

Aqadvisor assumes (unless you tell it otherwise) that all your fish are at full size. If they're still young then you may not need as much maintenance... but that's for your nitrate levels to dictate.
    Amm: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 40 ppm
    pH: 7.5
    Temp: 81*F

Filters - Aquaclear 70

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    personally, I would up the water change volume. Those nitrates are higher than I would like, although some would disagree.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Those nitrAtes are quite high. Is that the level when you do your water change? Either way I strongly recommend you increase your water changes to 40-50%.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    you are extremely overstocked and defying science. all the filtration in the world won't help you with uch cramped space. I'm surprised there isn't a ton of aggression, although some will overstock to avoid any one fish getting picked on. something bad could happen anytime with those fish. especially when becomming adults and spawning occurs.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gm72
    Those nitrAtes are quite high. Is that the level when you do your water change? Either way I strongly recommend you increase your water changes to 40-50%.
    My nitrate level is around 60-80ppm before I do my water change. 3 hours after my water change, the nitrate level is around 30-40 ppm

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    you are extremely overstocked and defying science. all the filtration in the world won't help you with uch cramped space. I'm surprised there isn't a ton of aggression, although some will overstock to avoid any one fish getting picked on. something bad could happen anytime with those fish. especially when becomming adults and spawning occurs.
    Surprisingly enough, there isn't much aggression in the tank. They all just swim with each other and look happy. I have a video of their behavior:

Also, green algae always builds up on the walls of my tank. I have to get a dish towel and wipe the algae off once per month to clean the glass. Is there anything I can do to stop green algae build up? It's not abnormal algae, just the normal green algae that you would find in any other tank. It just builds up very quickly.

Filters - Aquaclear 70

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    You are soon to find the downside of Mbuna I wager. Wait until they hit fishy puberty and start spawning. Total game changer. That many fish in a 55g is WAY too many to begin with, not to mention hyper-aggressive. Keep in mind every one of these can get 4-6" each.

Hope you have a lot of rock work. And I agree, up the water changes.

Just watched your video..those are BABIES but getting closer to becoming terrors. Just wait. It always happens when you least expect it. Then BAM, dead fish.

80ppm is way above ideal. Generally you want to keep them below 40ppm. That is my water change point, not what I shoot for during water changes.

And I gotta know, what magical method do you use to go from 80ppm to 40ppm by changing 20% of the water? if you did a 50% change, that would make sense. Otherwise I think one of your measurements is off.

Getting some live plants might help with the algae, as well as the nitrates. A good article that should have some useful info for you.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=24570
    Last edited by Scrup; 12-28-2011 at 01:44 PM.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

0 Not allowed!
    Your nitrAtes are not acceptable. You really need to increase your water changes immediately to 50%. Ultimately most of us would agree that nitrAtes should reach a level of around 20 at the most.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SW Florida Kid
    My nitrate level is around 60-80ppm before I do my water change. 3 hours after my water change, the nitrate level is around 30-40 ppm
    In that case I would absolutely up water changes. You're letting your nitrates get to harmful levels, especially in the days leading up to your water change.

I can't comment on your stock level because I'm not familiar with african cichlids. However I know that Crispy runs a tank that a lot of people have called overstocked (he makes it work with good maintenance and massive filtration) - so if he says you're overstocked I'd believe him.