· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen4God
    I just spent the past hour trying to find this thread again!!! I forgot which sub-forum I put it in...but of course I put it in DIY, right? lol Good gravy!

I definitely won't be doing this anytime soon, but I am interested in seeing if it would work out. Thanks for all of the input, everyone!!!!
    A quick way to test the water might be to get some polyfilter and put a sample of the rainwater into it. Reefers like to use polyfilter in their tanks, to absorb heavy metals and contaminants. It will change color depending on what it absorbs. Here is a link to the product http://www.poly-bio-marine.com/polyfilter.html Should be able to find it in most fish stores, it's a bit costly I think $10 for a piece of it.

0 Not allowed!
    I just spent the past hour trying to find this thread again!!! I forgot which sub-forum I put it in...but of course I put it in DIY, right? lol Good gravy!
    Ellen, if looking for your posts, just click on your User name and a drop down menu should appear to help you find them.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!

I definitely won't be doing this anytime soon, but I am interested in seeing if it would work out. Thanks for all of the input, everyone!!!!
    Click on User CP, then List Subscriptions on the left-side menu to find your thread/s.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    That only works, Todd, if you have set subscriptions in your options. If you have check no subscriptions, you will not get them.

Awards Showcase

You deserve a gift ! :) - MeganL3985 For doing research!  BTW...college ;) - Rue Put him with Bruce.... - jbeining75 Its good to have company - smaug Thought this might help while your're sick. Hope you feel better soon. - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    For the cards - William An Apple For Teaching Grad!  Congrats! - MeganL3985 You deserve to let yourself go for all the hard work you did to graduate!!! - Bolivian Ram Here's an apple for the teacher, great job Ellen - sailor A koi, because they love being in a school!! - smaug 
    Congrats on the job - sailor congrats on the job ! - Algenco For getting your teaching job - snipers_den Welcome back! - fins_n_fur merry xmas - smaug 
    For the new tank - Northernguy Way to go! DIY Stand. - Northernguy My condolances to you and your family. - Mith Good Luck, thanks for the rep! - Wild Turkey I thought you might like a Frontosa. - Brookfish 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Ellen4God Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    I do have subscriptions, but this one had "expired" from my subscriptions list since it hadn't been updated recently. I didn't think about doing a search for the post. That would have been the smart and easy thing to do.

6. Default Rain water

0 Not allowed!
    I have been using rain water for a couple of years. I am in a rural area, so industrial pollution is not a problem. As for every day dirt twigs, leaves, and so on; what the hey, the fish are pooping in that water.

The deal is the roof will collect dirt and deteriorating asphalt singles and so on as it sits around. If you are fussy about quality and are willing to put a little effort into the project, and I mean only a little, wait until it has been raining for a while, and after the roof is washed off, divert the flow to your barrel.

The local water around here is very hard. I set my tanks up with the hard water and use hard water to replace water I drain off. But I also top off the tanks from evaporation, and for that I use the soft rain water to keep from making the tank water progressively more hard.

7. Default Nice article on using rain water

0 Not allowed!
    I found this article recently, and thought it was very balanced as to the use of rain water:

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/water-softening

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like the article, first rate. A final thought here. Focus on the common problems with water. If your local well water or city water is suitable, just use it. Chlorine is the most common problem, this is easily solved, and the guy in the local fish store probably knows if the local water is okay. Beyond that, most people deal with the fish waste by changing water. A distant third would be concern over heavy metals, not usually a problem except with invertebrates. You look into this if your snails all die.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Most shingles today have a zinc in them to kill mold and algae.

As for government owning the water. Isn't government "By the people, for the people, of the people"? "We" are the government therefore the water is ours anyway.
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    What's a water change?

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s
    Most shingles today have a zinc in them to kill mold and algae.

As for government owning the water. Isn't government "By the people, for the people, of the people"? "We" are the government therefore the water is ours anyway.

Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?