· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a wood fire, tiled roof, lotsa birds around, green tree frogs. I do not heat the water (to add to tanks), been drinking it over 3 yrs with no issues, been using it in the tanks since i moved here. I live where there is crops close by which are sprayed, still i use it. No asbestos though, as far as i know.

I can assure you what comes outta my tank tastes better than the town water *L*

You dont want to use it fine, but some of us use it because that is what we have & prefer. It has never caused an issue for me and mine

If i can drink it, my fish can swim in it
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

0 Not allowed!
    If it works for you, then by means do as you have been doing. My post says "I would not use it."

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Some places it is illegal to harvest rainwater (Colorado being one). Make sure and either check local ordinances or when you set it up, set it up out of sight. :) No one really cares but it is an antiquated water rights issue. The water that falls from the sky does not belong to you, it belongs to the government, who has given out rights to that water to people besides you. You are not allowed to stop it from running into the ground, you can only divert it.

I know of a few people who use rainwater runoff from asphalt shingled roofs for their ponds without any problems. I would def strain it somehow, and consider running it through a carbon filter first. Or better yet, get a sample and have it professionally tested, if anything just so you are 100% certain what contaminants are in it. I would imagine that a 5-10 year old roof would have leached the majority of what it was going to leach by now. If you do try it let us know how it goes!
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Scrup on checking the legalities. Though it is becoming more common for water rights legislation to omit rain barrels these days.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Government-owned rainwater is one of the most ridiculous laws I've ever heard of.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    If the goverment own the rainwater. does that mean I could sue them if their water falls and ruins my new paint job ? I mean it should be their responsibility to look after their water. LOL
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    These types of laws are not aimed at ye average person with their home lawn and garden use. And tend to be more of a protection from a large diversion of water as that is primarily used as the state's source of electrical power. Rainfall, some used directly on my own property by my own vegetation but eventually the majority flowing to a nearby river system and feeding into a hydro power plant. The more water held back from flowing to the river system the less power that can be produced.

On our small property of 3/4 of an acre we average well over 1 million gallons of rainwater in a year. Which is not an insignificant amount.

8. Default Rain barrel water

0 Not allowed!
    There are a variety of views on this, obviously. I've used water from my rain barrels in some of my aquariums (in Washington, DC) without issue and know others who also do this, but others I know voice the concerns some folks here have raised.

I never use more than 50% rain water in my tanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    If it works for you, then by means do as you have been doing. My post says "I would not use it."
    I agree with LH. Tap water is much safer. Of course you need to use dechlorinator.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

You deserve a gift ! :) - MeganL3985 For doing research!  BTW...college ;) - Rue Put him with Bruce.... - jbeining75 Its good to have company - smaug Thought this might help while your're sick. Hope you feel better soon. - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    For the cards - William An Apple For Teaching Grad!  Congrats! - MeganL3985 You deserve to let yourself go for all the hard work you did to graduate!!! - Bolivian Ram Here's an apple for the teacher, great job Ellen - sailor A koi, because they love being in a school!! - smaug 
    Congrats on the job - sailor congrats on the job ! - Algenco For getting your teaching job - snipers_den Welcome back! - fins_n_fur merry xmas - smaug 
    For the new tank - Northernguy Way to go! DIY Stand. - Northernguy My condolances to you and your family. - Mith Good Luck, thanks for the rep! - Wild Turkey I thought you might like a Frontosa. - Brookfish 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Ellen4God Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    I just spent the past hour trying to find this thread again!!! I forgot which sub-forum I put it in...but of course I put it in DIY, right? lol Good gravy!

I definitely won't be doing this anytime soon, but I am interested in seeing if it would work out. Thanks for all of the input, everyone!!!!