· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Rubber Lip Pleco Fiasco

0 Not allowed!
    So I realize I am not supposed to do this but I took the advice on a pleco from a petsmart sales associate and I am wondering what I can do (aside from returning the fish) to remedy the situation:

I went into petsmart looking for a snail because I noticed some algae growing on my glass and thought it would be entertaining to watch a snail clean the glass. I also have a molly who is acting pregnant. So I was going to get some aquarium salt and a snail. The woman working in the fish department told me I could not have a snail if I use aquarium salt (something I have read is not true) she recommended instead I get a Rubber Lip Pleco. I said, "Don't they get pretty big?" She said it shouldn't grow past 5 inches and would be fine in my 10 gallon tank.

Everything I have read on the internet contradicts what she said. I put the pleco in my tank and everything seemed fine. I woke up this morning with bubbles on the surface and I checked my ammonia levels at it was close to 1.0ppm. Before I was receiving 0ppm Ammonia, Nitrites, and the nitrates were beginning to rise.

Should I just take the fish back or if I keep up with weekly water changes will it be ok? Current stock: 1 black moly, 1 albino cory catfish. My plan was to add a few guppies at some point but now I'm wondering if that would be a good idea.

Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    A rubber lipped pleco in a 10 gallon aquarium is pushing it. I would take the pleco back.
    Keep up the water changes until your bio-load gets back to normal. It sounds like your filter wasn't ready for the extra load. I am surprised it spiked up that quickly though. Glad you noticed it in time.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately i was unable to perform proper water changes before I had to leave for work. I dumped in the appropriate dosage of some betta conditioner I had which claims to "neutralize ammonia". By the time i left for work the bubbles had faded. I just hope the fish survive until I can get home and do a proper water change.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    Me too.
    Not knowing your current set-up, do you have an air stone running? Having an air stone increases the amount of oxygen in the tank and helps to circulate the water which helps a little bit.
    A proper water change can't be beat for gas spikes.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have an airstone "curtain" which I have been told is a bit overkill for my size tank but my fish don't seem to mind. Infact sometimes the female molly will swim against it as if she were playing, then pause and let it shoot her up to the surface.

I also have a few moneywort plants in the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Bubbles would be the result of increased surface tension, caused by organic compounds (fish wastes) in the water. Nerite snails are fine with salt, though mollies are actually fine w/out it, so you can go either way on that count. Pleco's don't like salt, too much will kill them. I lost 3 of my 4 L-204's when I used salt to treat an outbreak of Ich.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I went home on lunch and did a partial water change. Seemed to lower the ammonia below 0.25ppm.

I am only using the recommended dosage of aquarium salt (2 tbsp per 10 gallon) do you think that will harm the pleco?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I've never used aquarium salt in a tank with a pleco so I can only say what I've read.
    Pleco's dont take to salt.
    Keep up the w/c and Mollies can live without salt.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You deserve a gift ! :) - MeganL3985   For doing research!  BTW...college ;) - Rue   Put him with Bruce.... - jbeining75   Its good to have company - smaug   Thought this might help while your're sick. Hope you feel better soon. - ILuvMyGoldBarb   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Ellen4God   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Ellen4God   

0 Not allowed!
    I honestly would take the pleco back and then up the numbers of the fish you have. However, I wouldn't keep albino corys in a 10g. If you can't do anything with the cory though, then make sure you're taking care of water changes and such. And keep both the molly and cory happy by adding more of their kind.

And don't feel too bad. Most of us have bought a fish on impulse or without fulling research beforehand. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwdonald
    I went home on lunch and did a partial water change. Seemed to lower the ammonia below 0.25ppm.

I am only using the recommended dosage of aquarium salt (2 tbsp per 10 gallon) do you think that will harm the pleco?
    I really don't know how much salt that species can tolerate. Never kept them myself, and some species are more sensitive than others. Most of my BN survived the salt treatment, but I did lose a few of those as well.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^