· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: 30 gallon sump

1. Default 30 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    hey everyone,

im planning on making a 30 gallon wet/dry sump for my main display tank which is a 75 gallon freshwater planted tank. my idea is to use a 6 drawer unit from walmart to place all my media in the drawers and have a pump return the water back to my display. im using 2 - 3/4" siphon pipes to bring the water to my filter and use a 1" pipe from the pump to the display tank. im going to have ball valves on all my pipes to be able to control the flow rates. I have a few questions

1-how would the siphon start back up if i were to have a power outage?
    2-is 2 - 3/4" big enough for the siphon pipes
    3-should both my siphons be at the same level in the tank or at 2 different levels

i hope this makes sense to everyone. any and all advice/ideas are greatly appreciated
    750 Gallon Pond - 6 Koi, 3 Shubunkins, 10+ Goldfish
    75 gallon - 1 angelfish, 3 otos, 2 panda cories, 6 amano shrimp, 2 albino plecos, 100+ assassin snails
    20 gallon - 9 wild cardinal tetras, 15 Amano shrimp, 1 male show guppies, 1 zebra snail, 11 guppy fry
    10 gallon - 1 half moon Betta
    10 gallon - 2 female half moon bettas, 1 marble pleco, 2 zebra snails

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by peavs
    1-how would the siphon start back up if i were to have a power outage?

You can set it up so this will not be a problem. I would have your drain lines near the top of the water level of your display tank. So if the power go outs you limit the amount of water that will drain back into the sump if the power goes out. You could then ensure you leave enough room in you sump for the extra water that would drain back by using a baffle in the sump. The key would be to make sure you won’t loose your syphon should this happen. Youtube is full of how to videos for that They explain it better than I can.

2-is 2 - 3/4" big enough for the siphon pipes

That would depend on the flow rate you want. Each ¾” drain line would give you around 300 GPH depending on how many elbows and the type of syphon you have. That should be fine if you have a return pump of around 400 to 550 GPH. The below can give you a better idea.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=69246

3-should both my siphons be at the same level in the tank or at 2 different levels

Same level, as close to the waterline as possible to limit drainback in the event of a power failure

i hope this makes sense to everyone. any and all advice/ideas are greatly appreciated
    Just a few ideas above in blue
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the reply cliff.

my idea for the drain pipes were to setup it up almost like a canister filters drain pipe is. so only have one pipe in the tank.

I was planning on drilling a hole about 1" below the water line in both siphon lines that way if the power did go out it would stop siphoning at that point. but then thats where i started to get confused about how i could get the siphon to start back up.

on my return pipes from the sump i was going to put a check valve so that the water wont drain back into the sump that way.

i should have enough space in the sump seeing as its a 30 gallon and i only really need a 15 - 20 gallon sump from what ive read
    75 gallon - 1 angelfish, 3 otos, 2 panda cories, 6 amano shrimp, 2 albino plecos, 100+ assassin snails
    20 gallon - 9 wild cardinal tetras, 15 Amano shrimp, 1 male show guppies, 1 zebra snail, 11 guppy fry

0 Not allowed!
    If you drill your tank, then it's really not a syphon, but a drain line. That is the best way, IMO.

You'll either have to leave a little room for the return pump to sit in the sump, or drill the tank and have your return pump run outside of the tank

I would think you'll have a lot of room for media with the three dawer set-up that you have discribed. I have only set-up SW sumps so I am am only making a educated guess at the amount of media you will need

Hopfully, your not in a hurry so other members here with FW sumps can also offer you some suggestion on the media
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    im not able to drill my tank as it is already setup. i would like to have a drilled tank so that this would be so much easier to make.

im leaving enough space in my sump for my filter, a heater, and any other accessories that i dont want cluttering up my display.

im not in a massive rush right now. I would like to try and get this setup before i have to go back to work on jan 3rd. so im hoping someone that has a freshwater sump can give me some more advice on the matter.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A decent canister filter would do just as well with alot less plumbing.No good reason for a sump in a planted tank.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know that a canister filter would be just as good. I'm trying to not spend a lot of money on a canister. I have a 30 gallon laying around and most of the plumbing from past projects. That's one reason why I was planning on doing the sump. As well I'm planning on stocking the aquarium fairly heavily as well. So I figured the sump would have enough filtration for what I want.