· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default freshwater sand filter problems

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gal sand freshwater setup. 2 weeks after I set up the sand my filter started making a loud noise, then stopped working altogether. Whats going on with my filter? Can i do a quick fix on it? Any preventitive steps that I can take? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    We need to know what specific filter you have to help you diagnose the problem.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gm72
    We need to know what specific filter you have to help you diagnose the problem.
    its a penguin 200 bio wheel

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

*Kicks* :P - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   off to europe monday! time to get some aquarium stuff - cocoa_pleco   shaken or stirred??? - cocoa_pleco   Back at ya lol - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Just a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing your filter sucked up some sand in the intake tube and it got into your impeller which could have seized your filters motor. If you can, take apart your filter, grab a flashlight and take a peek into the impeller of your filter, if you see sand, that's the problem.

You didn't mention if it started to work again, if so, I'd clean it out as best as possible, if not, you'll probably have to get a new filter (or at least motor, but complete systems are just as cheap as most replacement parts).

If this is what happened, there are two ways you can remedy the cause of the problem:

1) Cut your intake tube so the bottom part sits only half way down your tank, this reduces the distance from the sand substrate to the intake tube of the filter reducing the chance of sand particles floating up and getting sucked into your filter.

2) Buy a sponge (there are ones pre-cut for powerhead filters) and slip it over the intake tube of your filter which will trap the sand particles from being sucked in.

My 10g brackish tank has a sand bottom and I had 2 filters die on me within 24 hours because of sand in the impeller. Since then, I added a pre-filter sponge on the intake tube and have had no problems since. I'm just glad the filters were the cheap ones that came with the kit and were only used as spares. Also, make sure you rinse out the pre-filter sponge when you do your water changes.
    A Grumpy German Is A Saurkraut!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    Great information, alizee. Well said!
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I was able to cut my uplift tubes with a hack saw. They should be up about 4 inches from the sand.

Cracks post was right on! When messing with the sand, allow it to settle before turning your pumps on.