· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Work tank re-invented!!! Freshwater snowflake eel!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Last night after dinner I grabbed my box of instant ocean and headed back to work. The tank was already cycled prior to raising the specific gravity, so I'm not sure if I need to wait before stocking... Haven't kept brackish in a long time! I have a "freshwater" moray eel that was in freshwater at the store and is now temporarily in my freshwater qt at home. All my previous research points at a sp of 1.010 for optimum care of this species so that is what he will be acclimated to. Does anyone have experience w/ this awesome creature and does anyone know if live rock will make it in this low salinity? They say this species can go to full salt so I figure live rock may make it a more suitable "natural" environment. I would love to have more info on this but my findings have been limited.

0 Not allowed!
    You would be better off to put the fish in your work tank...and leave it FW. You will then need to slowly bring up the salinity to your desired level, the fish has been kept in FW so slowly bringing up the salinity will be the best thing for it. When you do your weekly waterchanges mix the new water to 1.010 and add to the tank. In a month or so the tank will be at the level you desire.

They can go into full marine conditions, but like most "brackish fish" they are very tollerant of salinity and changes in it...surviving periods of time in both full marine and freswater. However with that said as an adult the best salinity for them is between 1.010-1.020.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    I have kept them for a long time. They can be kept in freshwater provided they get a very stress free environment and perfect water. They are however much hardier if kept in brackish.

The most important thing is to give them enough hidning spaces. You can read about my experinces on http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/pred...watermoray.php
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you both for your speedy responses... William- thanks again for your read, it helps out a lot.

MCHRKiller-
    You would be better off to put the fish in your work tank...and leave it FW. You will then need to slowly bring up the salinity to your desired level, the fish has been kept in FW so slowly bringing up the salinity will be the best thing for it.
    Do you think that it would be ok if I do a 50% wc tomorrow to drop the specific gravity and then do a slow drip acclimation of the eel, or do you think I should go back to pure freshwater to start?

0 Not allowed!
    Slow is best IME...a 75-80% change would be what I would do and then drip acclimate.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Always good to proceed w/ caution MCHRKiller... I will take your advise and I will keep you posted. Thanks!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just an update... the fme was happily hiding in is new home at work thursday afternoon and did not come out of hiding all day friday, probably because the tank light was on. Friday afternoon I sank a freeze dried krill to him and went home. Showed up for work saturday mourning and krill was gone. There are a dozen little feeder guppies in w/ him also (food/friends whatever) and I thought they possibly ate it, but much to my surprise, when I returned to the shop later, he was out swimming and chasing the guppies! I even think a couple may be missing! I very happy to see him acting as he should... Thanks again!

0 Not allowed!
    They are easy to to train to raise their body up out of the tank and take shrimp (thawed) from you fingers. They can usually raise about 3 third of themselves straight above the water. (some more). You should however get expect to get bitten every now and again as they have poor eyesight.

0 Not allowed!
    Thought it might be a good trick at work to get people more interested in fish.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I look foward to it! do they get used to the light? This has all been while lights out.