· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Double tail, half moon

0 Not allowed!
    I know I should always listen to myself when I say don't go into the lfs, but rarely do I take my own advice. Last night I went to Petco to look around. I had told myself that I was not allowed any more fish before I move. Yeah, I didn't listen. I found the most beautiful betta that I have ever seen and I just had to have him. Unfortunately, I didn't have a tank ready for him. I knew I had plenty of seeded media, filters, sand, a hood and light so I figured what the heck, $1/gallon sale is on. I picked up a 10 gallon tank, some amazon swords, and a couple anubias, and this guy

I arrived home new fish and tank in tow only to hear "why does the new betta get the big tank? I think stewie should get it because he's been here longer." Sadly, this came from my 33year old, soon to be ex-husband! After explaining to him that I was considering a split tank, and what that entailed, he was pleased.

The set up begins with pool filter sand, a few black pebbles, and a poster board background.

After topping it of with water I added the new plants, root tabs/ferts.

The swords have decided they didn't want to stay planted, so until I have a chance to get some weights, this is what we have. So now my new betta, who is yet to be named, is happily swimming about and dancing in the floating swords.

The next addition to this tank will most likely be shrimp of some type. What is your favorite shrimp?
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got a double tail halfmoon betta from petco recently as well. Mine looks like it might even be a triple tail. I like yours. He looks like a cross between the DTHM and the Halfmoon/delta tail that I got at the same time. Looking forward to this journal.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks idoerr. I have again replanted the sword, this time I stacked a few rocks about to help keep them down. Poor fishie wasn't very happy, he liked his plants floating.

Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome betta. Maybe you should add a banana plant. My betta also like to hangout under plants or driftwood. And the wide bananna plant leaves provide good cover for bettas lol.

I love blue pearl shrimp, but if you but them in with your betta the colony will not grow and they will most likely get eaten. How about nerite snail or my personal favorite assassin snail?
    Roll the Dice!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi gogi, thanks for the suggestions. This tank was literally set up on a whim, so I had to go with what they had plant-wise. I love the look of banana plants and I plan to get some soon, but have to go to a different store for them. I will be getting driftwood also, again, different store.

I have mts in my other tanks and have thought of moving a few in once its more established, however for this tank I really would like to add shrimp, if the betta will allow. I am limited to ghost shrimp as far as local availability, so I'll have to order online. Obviously this gives the best selection, but I also have to consider the cost of shipping in the overall price.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice beta setup. I'm surprised the plants don't stay planted in the sand. I have had no problems. But this is why they make weights.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly, I bought all this at Petco, the roots are extremely short. It's the only reason I can think of. I have root tabs in with them so hopefully it won't be long and they will stay down without assistance. For now I used the black stones to hold them in. It seems to have done the trick.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They have yellow shrimp! I don't know if that's their formal name of not, but I read about them in another thread. I think that would be awesome.
    "Can ye fathom the ocean, dark and deep, where the mighty waves and the grandeur sweep?" - Fanny Crosby

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh I've seen the yellow ones, I don't think they would stand out well on the white sand though. There is a green color variation of them too. I was kinda thinking something bright that would be easy to spot against the sand.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What about black shrimp?
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12