· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The above poster means Aquarium Salt - you do not want to add table salt.
    PaMeLa
    5 gallon/6.5 gallon/29 gallon/37 gallon/ 55 gallon {and a 20 gallon in my office!}

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As long as it is not iodinized it will work. I use table salt that does not contain iodine. Never had a problem from it.
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamela2Heaven
    The above poster means Aquarium Salt - you do not want to add table salt.
    Thanks, i'll get some aquarium salt. It seems fairly inexpensive so I think it makes sense to get it from a pet shop rather than buy online and pay postage.

Also, I am wondering how to maintain the temperature in my tank. I don't have a heater (this is something I presumed I wouldn't need for a cold water tank) so i'm not sure how to maintain a 20-22 degrees temperature in my tank. Over the course of around 20hrs it has dropped back down to 17 degrees celsius.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    What are you doing to heat it now?

You will need a heater.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    What are you doing to heat it now?

You will need a heater.
    I have no heater, i've never had one. My 5 y.o goldie has never been in a tank with a heater, as, i'd imagine, my 3 month old shub.

I'm waiting on my API tester kit coming so hopefully that will show something up in the water that can help me to solve the apparent illness of my goldie, however do you think I _need_ a heater? It is a coldwater tank after all and I have never needed a heater before.

Also, i've just done my third daily water change in a row so i'm hoping that I will see a upturn in my goldie's health soon and that his fins will sort of open back up rather than being in the clamped state they are in just now.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    You said you have heated the tank up slowly but have no heater. What are you doing to heat the tank?

Yes, if you want the water to be warmer than it is then you need a heater.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    You said you have heated the tank up slowly but have no heater. What are you doing to heat the tank?

Yes, if you want the water to be warmer than it is then you need a heater.
    I was just adding in water from the kettle, although naturally it has cooled down to room temp it would seem.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I definitely would not do that. That will just make the temp jump up and down, stressing the fish even worse. If you need to raise the temp, do it right and buy a heater.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I have now managed to get my water tested with my API freshwater test kit and these are the results:

pH - 7.6 (light blue and end of the scale)
    pH (High Range) - 7.4 (tan colour and top of the scale)
    Ammonia - 0.25ppm (light green and second in the scale)
    Nitrite - 0ppm (light blue and top of scale)
    Nitrate - 10ppm (light orange and third in scale)

Should I be concerned about any of these figures?

Do any of these figures point me in the direction of the reason for my fish suffering from clamped fins and showing "hiding" behaviour?

I should add that I haven't done a water change since Saturday/Sunday.

Thanks.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How big is the tank?

Parameters are fine, though ammonia is slightly higher than it should be.

You say it stays around 12-15 C ... that is around 53-59 F ... which is the low end of what goldfish tend to prefer, unless its a fancy goldfish, which should really be higher than that. The chub should be fine, though less active than normal.

If you do not wish to buy a heater, bring up and maintain the ambient room temperature.

Salt is not going to help in this situation really.
    Last edited by Rhaethe; 12-23-2011 at 07:53 PM.