· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Clamped Fins on Goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    I am looking for some advice regarding clamped fins on my comet goldfish. He has been hiding with clamped fins for the past fortnight and he shows now signs of picking up.

I performed a 30% water change last night as I feared there could be water quality issues. When I changed the water I added AquaSafe to every bottle of water I added and when I finished I added a wee touch (inner capful) of Ammonia Remover.

Unfortunately, I don't have an API tester kit although I will be buying one of these soon. Due to the cold weather recently (and the fact that my house is generally cold) the water temperature has dropped a few degrees. I was normally around 17-20 degrees celsius, however it is now a few degrees lower - down at 13-15.

I have read that clamped fins and general "stressed-out" behaviour can be caused by water quality and/or water temperature, so i'm not sure what the best course of action is here. Should I raise the temperature as high as I can, maybe back up to the 20-mark? Also, should I do every-other-day 30% water changes? As I say, I changed 30% yesterday (Wednesday) so should I be doing another 30% on Friday?

Any help is appreciated as my fish has been looking sad for a fortnight or so now and I don't want him to fall ill or, worse die.

Cheers,
    Picco

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    You need to get that water tested. You suspect water quality is a problem, so it's time to find out. I understand you don't have a test kit yet... is there a fish/pet store nearby that could test your water for you?
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    You need to get that water tested. You suspect water quality is a problem, so it's time to find out. I understand you don't have a test kit yet... is there a fish/pet store nearby that could test your water for you?
    The coldwater kit is 33 in Pets@Home - can you buy them cheaper online?

Do you think water quality is my issue?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Most likely.you can find one cheaper online. For now you could take a sample of your water to your fish shop and have them test it. Most will do so free of charge. Make sure you write down the numbers of your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Ph as well if available. Then report back here for further assistance.
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know. Clamped fins is a general sign of stress. Without anything else to go on, it's time to start eliminating possibilities, and water quality is always the first place to start. How big is the tank, what's in it, and how often/what amount of water changes have you been doing?
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you think this API tester kit would suffice for what I want to test?

It doesn't say anything about coldwater - only freshwater? Does this matter?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    "cold" freshwater is no different than "tropical" freshwater. That kit is the most popular... it's what I use.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    "cold" freshwater is no different than "tropical" freshwater. That kit is the most popular... it's what I use.
    Excellent - i'll buy one! Many thanks.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Whether the kits come up with anything or not you need to do water changes, daily. And add salt, goldfish respond very well to salt treatments.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    Whether the kits come up with anything or not you need to do water changes, daily. And add salt, goldfish respond very well to salt treatments.
    OK, thanks. I have just bought one of these from MrPets.co.uk and should be here at the start of next week:

I have raised the temperature a few degrees to try and make them a bit more comfortable. They were sitting at between 13-15, however I have been advised to bring them up to around 20-22 degrees Celsius which I have done gradually. All water entering the tank is chlorinated (i'm going through an absolute ton of AquaSafe, think i'm going to have to buy the big bottle from now on ).

When you say add salt I take it you don't mean "Table Salt"? I've got plenty of that, but i'm sure I read somewhere that you can't add table salt to a fish tank.