· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Are fiddlers compatible with red claws?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there,

I have a female fiddler crab. I've just moved her out of my 25 gal fish tank where I had lots of ways for her to get out to the air, bot not out of the tank, but my clown loach was getting a bit mouthy so I got a 10 gal tank for her to be safe. I have a couple of guppies in there now. I've heard that I should use marine salt and not regular aquarium salt. Is that really necessary? Will the guppies be okay with that? If not, I'll take them out. I'm looking for some other crustaceans to share the tank with her and thought about RCC or bamboo shrimp. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes it has to be marine salt, aquarium salt in an entirely different thing. You want the water to be brackish though, not full marine. Guppies need very slow acclimation to live in brackish, and some may die in the process. Mollies are a better brackish fish. Bamboo Shrimp are really cool but need fresh water, you could add some ghost shrimp, they'll live in anything.

As to the original question, never mix fiddler crabs and red claw crabs. Red claws are much more aggressive, your fiddler wouldn't stand a chance.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree 100% with the above post. RCC's are much more aggressive and have bigger stronger claws. There will be blood. Unfortunately, I know from experience.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice! I'll switch the tank over to marine salt, sloooowly and see how the guppies do. I can move them to another tank if needed. I do have molly I can put in there, but she is so big, I don't want to overload the tank. One more thought: Would bumble bee gobies do well in this setup?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You have a clown loach in a 25g? You need to rehome it. Or get a massive tank and at least 4 more. What's your stock in the 25g? Not trying to get off topic. In previous threads you started it said something about a fire mouth ,guppies ,mollies, rose line sharks, and the clown loach.
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    The harley man......no not the motorcycle, harlequin rasboras
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11