· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure what goes into the water supply in Dubai but in most parts of the world, chlorine is added to the water supply to kill bacteria that we do not want in our drinking water. However, it must be removed before keeping fish. You also can not grow bacteria in your filters to maintain a "cycled" tank without it.

If you are unable to buy pure ammonia in Dubai, there are other ways to cycle a tank such as adding some raw prawns or fish to a nylon stocking, anchoring it to the bottom of the tank and allowed it to rot. It will stink but it will cycle because the rotting will cause ammonia levels. Rotting fish food will also cycle the tank but pure ammonia is far faster. A test kit to check for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates is most useful in keeping fish. If unable to cycle the tank at all, you can start with a "few" very hardly fish and do a lot of large water changes to keep the water from becoming toxic under you can reach a cycle.

Yes, your tank is too small for even one arowana. Do your research and soon you will know more than the person who sold you those fish and know exactly what fish to get for that tank.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dear sheamurai / aeonflame / Lady Hobbs,

Many thanks for your invaluable advice. Got the point. Seems I need a very very big tank to keep arowana... so its time to start looking for a much bigger tank.

Shall cycle as advised in the article by Lady Hobbs. Also will look for pure ammonia along with de-chlorination liquid.

thanks.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent sirpreet!
    It may seem like more trouble at the moment, but you'll be rewarded by avoiding difficulties down the road. Plus you'll have much healthier fish!
    20gal long planted community

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    You have a great attitude towards fishkeeping.
    I hope you locate a large enough tank so you can keep these rather majestic fish.They also need a large amount of filtration.
    What other fish were you planning on keeping with the Arowana's?
    Welcome to the fabulous AC!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dear Lady Hobbs / Sheamurai / Northernguy,

Many thanks for yours posts. It is very encouraging to see your comments and suggestions. Really, i didnt think anyone would reply and guide me as you all have done. Cause at most of the forums, replies are very seldom.

Dear Northernguy: I was looking at various canister filters on the web. but shipping them to dubai is making the price more than double. I looked at the Aquatic suppliers here in Dubai. they have JBL equipement. Thus JBL CristalProfi is the model of the canister filter. Can you advise if this is fine...?

wrt other fish with Arowana, I had thought of keeping nothing. As i read and heard that with arowana, one cannot keep any other fish as arowana eats them.

I really want to keep arowana, as its been a dream since last 8 years, thus i have started looking for bigger tanks. Lets hope for the best.

The test kits which I had bought were also from JBL. Pretty good testing strips and the ammonia kit was different (with test liquids).

Await your input for JBL.

0 Not allowed!
    The JBL brand is fine. A piece of advice... use what you have available. I also live in a place where selection in equipment is limited.

However, if you want to keep arowana, you already understand that you will need a large tank. The easiest and cheapest way to filter a tank that size is with a sump and wet/dry filter.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dear All,

Further to the below, can you please advise if i can add the new canister filter now or wait for the cycling to finish...!

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    If you are serious about keeping a small arowana, you should start with just one. they are very fragile fish when small and should be alone until they reach around 12". pick one that is eating well in the store and keep feeding it what it will eat and slowly introduce new foods for a balanced diet. aro sticks, small crickets, freeze dried shrimp/krill are all great foods.

small arowana won't tolerate a strong current or a non-cycled tank. I would use an established sponge filter and a small canister should suffice for the first year of it's life in a minimum 55g tank. silver arowana can easily grow to 12"+ within their first year. my silver is less than 5 years old and 34".

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sirpreet
    Dear All,

Further to the below, can you please advise if i can add the new canister filter now or wait for the cycling to finish...!
    Adding the filter now would give you a chance to build up a good supply of bacteria in it altho one can be added later and run alongside whatever filter you have now.

There must be some aquarium builders around Dubai somewhere. Perhaps you may have to put some feelers out and ask around. You might ask around the stores there and see if they could even order you one from their aquarium source.

I'm quite impressed with your posts. You seem very nice, willing to learn and taking replies to heart. It's nice having you here.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Aeonflame.

Agree with you. Shall go for JBL.

Can you give me a model no or brand name for this sump / wet dry filter ? highly appreciate.

As I dont know if this JBL canister filter qualifies for the above.