3 maingano
    2 socolofi
    4 red zebra
    3 yellow lab

water temp=79.5 degrees
    ammonia=0
    nitrite=0
    ph=8.0

WHATS THE DEAL? it seems like 1 fish is dieing per day, this morning i found one crammed into the opening on the bottom of my powerhead, and i hadn't noticed it acting strange so im thinking that one just died fromr curiosity. the powerhead has been removed to avoid any further accidents.

the fish that died got very sluggish and started breathing hard, then died shortly after. They show no signs of external damage, or infection. The fish that are alive look fine, but then again so did the deads one up until about 4 hours before they died.

PLEASE HELP, this is a very expensive die off and i want to do everything i can to stop it.
    Last edited by Northerly; 12-09-2011 at 04:07 PM.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    Seeing that your sig says your 55g is not cycled yet and you don't specify a nitrate reading I would say ammonia poisoning even if you say you show 0 ammonia. May I ask why you stocked the tank at all, let alone so heavily, if you hadn't cycled yet?
    75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta sorority
    Lack of planning on your part doesn't justify an emergency on my part.

0 Not allowed!
    i cycled it before i stocked it just didnt update the signature thing.

0 Not allowed!
    What is the nitrate reading?

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    i dont have a nitrate test i ran out of money after i bought my rocks and substrate, the fish were a gift.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly
    i dont have a nitrate test i ran out of money after i bought my rocks and substrate, the fish were a gift.
    How do you know how frequently and how much water to change without knowing the nitrate level?

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    i do 25% water changes once a week on all my tanks, or sometimes ill do a 35-40% change every 2 weeks for a month or two.

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher
    How do you know how frequently and how much water to change without knowing the nitrate level?
    +1

THIS is a key question, A TrAte test is THE test to have for a cycled FW tank.

Just FYI: the odds are very very small that the fish was alive when he got stuck to the power head, The VAST majority of the time they are dead first and then get sucked up to it.

EDIT: How long has it been cycled & how did you determine it was cycled with no TrAte test?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    +1

THIS is a key question, A TrAte test is THE test to have for a cycled FW tank.

Just FYI: the odds are very very small that the fish was alive when he got stuck to the power head, The VAST majority of the time they are dead first and then get sucked up to it.
    Yeah, but, i had been out of the room for maybe 30 minutes? i had just fed the fish and all of them were very active. None of them were acting sluggish and i come back in to find a fish jammed head first into it, No idea whether or not he was dead or alive, i was just speculating.

0 Not allowed!
    In case you missed my edit:

How long has it been cycled & how did you determine it was cycled with no TrAte test?
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.