· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Columnaris Disease

0 Not allowed!
    So I got 2 new Cichlids...after a few days one of them started showing signs of what I thought was Ich. Put him in a quarantine tank and then the 2nd one started showing signs....put him in there too. The first one his lips were all cottony...then his fins, then his eyes...poor thing! Then i went out and came home and had a big blotch on his side. I searched and searched and came to the conclusion it was this....i immediately went to the LFS and got an antibiotic. Needless to say...i just check on him and he did not make it....I am crushed. I have the other one still in the quarantine tank. Tomorrow I am going to put more antibiotic in and then do a 50% water change. I am so afraid to put him back in my 60 gallon with my other 13 Cichlids....i do not want to wipe out my tank.

I have decided not to replace him (only had him less than 2 weeks)...I can't take the heartache of losing another one =(

Anyone else heard of this disease?

Thanks

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No I had not heard of the disease.But I just lost a tiger barb to symptoms exactly like your describing.Poor thing battled it for a month.I used anti-biotic and Ick medicine.He got better and worse for 3 weeks.The last week I guess was to much.He got weaker and weaker. when my chichlids could catch him I moved him to another tank.He lasted 2 days in there and went to sleep as I told my son.First fish I have lost in years.We were sad.My young son ask were the fish went.I told him it was sleeping and went to see his mom and dad.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Columnaris is not terribly uncommon in the hobby. It is caused by a gram negative bacteria.

Antibiotics are not all built the same, because bacterias are not all built the same. Be sure you are treating with a medication that works against fram negative bacteria.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for that bit of information.I will ask for it at the pet store next time I am there.And keep it in stock with the other supplies.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From what I have read, Columnaris is highly contagious. Id keep a very close eye on your tank. Maybe stock up on appropriate meds. Were the 2 new fish quarantined when you brought them home? I quarantine EVERYTHING (including plants!) for 3-4 weeks before introducing to my main tanks.
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid
    ~Albert Einstein

0 Not allowed!
    Mardel Maracyn 2 is gram negative.

Maracyn and Maracyn 2 can be used together, as well.

Looks like this.

Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 12-08-2011 at 06:43 PM.