· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default AnswerInquisition's 29 Gallon

0 Not allowed!
    Equipment:
    After a lot of searching on craigslist, I finally have some of my own equipment. I purchased two tanks, a 20-long and a 29. They both came with lighting, aquaclear filters, heaters and live plants. A wrought iron stand was also included.

Placement:
    They had the tank set up one on top of the other on the iron stand. I however am going to put the 29 on the stand alone. This is going to be located in the living room. I'm hoping to have the 20-gallon-long in my room soon. But I'm only going to worry about one tank at a time.

The set-up:
    So far, I have put in a flourite substrate (it is going to a planted community tank). This has proved to be somewhat difficult. I did rinse the flourite, but when I added water to the tank, it became extremely cloudy. Currently I'm just waiting for it to settle down to the bottom. Then I'm going to start aqua-scaping (can't wait).

Creation Requires Influence

29 Gallon: 11 neon tetras - 3 albino cories - 1 guppy - 2 endlers- 1 powder blue dwarf gouami

20 Gallon-Long: Veil-Tail Goldfish

2. Post Day 2: Murkyness Continues

0 Not allowed!
    Last night I decided I better put the plants into the tank in hopes they would stay alive and healthy. They were in pretty bad shape when I got them. I'm hoping I can nurse them back to health.

I'm still battling murky waters. I added some pillow stuffing as a means of chemical filtration to both my AquaClear 70 and AquaClear 30 (both of which are currently running on my 29-gallon tank). I left the filters off overnight in hopes that maybe the particles would settle. This morning the tank looked pretty much the same.

I completed a 50% water change and I'm running both filters now.

The tank is still not set up the way I want it to look. If fact, the waters were so murky last night I couldn't even tell where I was really putting the plants. I'm planning on putting some longer sword plants in the back and also adding a larger driftwood piece and maybe a larger rock.

29 Gallon: 11 neon tetras - 3 albino cories - 1 guppy - 2 endlers- 1 powder blue dwarf gouami

0 Not allowed!
    That looks more like aquariumplants.com substrate than flourite substrate. Doesn't matter, they both cloud the water for a day or so. It'll clear up in a day or two and has already come a long way since yesterday.

Are you going to cycle the tank before adding the fish?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I am going to cycle the tank prior to adding fish.

I got the flourite from petsmart. I believe it is Seachem brand.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks good. Likes just like aquariumplants.com amazon substrate.

6. Default The Cycle Has Begun

0 Not allowed!
    12/10/2011

The tank has cleared up nicely, although the glass still needs to be wiped down. And, after many struggles trying to find pure ammonia, the fishless cycling process has finally begun.

I got the Ace Hardware brand of pure ammonia and the tank is dosed to about 3 ppm. I've turned the heat up to about 80 F. I also inserted an entire slide of Aqueon 10 used filter media. I put it into my AquaClear 70 and it fits perfectly. I'm hoping this will really speed up the cycling process.

Here is the tank without all the cloudiness (there are some bubbles sticking to the glass as well). I am still going to change the aquascape but I'll wait until the cycle is complete before doing so.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think that the scape looks good as is.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I agree that it isn't too bad. But I want a taller driftwood piece that can fill up some of the visual space in the top half of the tank. I also want a couple taller plants to disguise some of the equipment back there. And if I'm going to get tetras (which is my plan) I will get a floating plant or two in order to give them some extra cover.

I have a 20 gallon long that can take some of the decor that is in there now.

9. Default Cycling

0 Not allowed!
    It has been 4 days since I began the fish-less cycling process. My levels are as follows:

Ammonia: ....... 2 ppm

Nitrite: ........ > 5 ppm

Nitrate: .......... (untested)

I will start to test my nitrate levels when I see nitrites going down. I hope it will be cycled by next week.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I doubt that your tank will be cycled by next week.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12