· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 2 pregnant cichlids in same tank

0 Not allowed!
    is it okay to have 2 "pregnant" african cichlids in a tank or will they eat each others fry after they "give birth".

i know cichlids dont get pregnant or give birth thats why there is quotations

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I have peacocks and they don't eat fry, but I don't know about mbunas or Tangs.
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    Mouthbrooder's maternal instincts apparently can be extended toward other fry so the mom's should not harm each other's fry (even if they are of different species).

Depending on the species and size of the maternity tank, however, the mothers may try to kill each other. What I usually do is place the mother which as been mouthbrooding the longest in the tank first. When she spits the fry I remove the first mother and add the second mother in the tank with the first mother's fry.

Probably doesn't apply to you but....
    If the first batch of fry are more than a month or two older than the second batch, you may want to use another tank because larger fry can kill smaller fry (and the instincts of the new fry don't seem to consider other fry as threats so they don't even try to defend themselves by avoiding the larger fry.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The mbuna mothers will eat their own and eachothers fry if they are left in the same tank as the fry. They don't have much for motherly instinct! I put my holding yellow lab in a 10 gallon tank, she spit the fry about a week later and the next day ate all but 5. I have eggs in a tumbler right now, only because the LFS wants them, otherwise I leave most holding females in the main tank or I would have mbunas coming out my ears.....they breed like crazy!
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid
    ~Albert Einstein

0 Not allowed!
    Fortunately I've never seen a mother mbuna cannibalize her own fry and I've reared many batches of various species of mbuna fry. But I also place a lot of cover in my fry tanks (floating plastic plants, peanut m&m-size pebbles and what not. I also keep the tank un-illuminated the entire time (the tank receives light from the window or room but not from an aquarium light) and feed her as soon as she's spat them all for good. I've never lost mbuna fry by the mother's actions, or from other mothers (my mouth brooding red zebra ignored the dozens of acei fry in the tank).

Their maternal instincts will wane as the days pass. I've had mothers remain with their fry sometimes up to 4 or 5 days after releasing them. I'd wager that after a week an experienced mother might try to eat her fry.

I've also had very protective mother mbuna's reclaim their fry. I recall one of my msobo's spat out a bunch of fry. I went to get my camera and when I came back the fry were all gone and her mouth was full of fry again. She released them two days later and reclaimed them all when I approached and stayed near the tank.

It wasn't till about 5 days later that she spat the fry out for good. I've seen demasoni's do the same thing. That's back when I used to keep my fry tanks barren, but when I provided cover it's hard for the mother to reclaim them.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24