· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Rosette Plants and Lighting

0 Not allowed!
    Once again I find myself needing some advice...This time it's on lighting. I want to get some Rosette Swords for my 29g tank, but I would like to know what kind of fluorescent blubs I should use...When I started in aquariums as a kid, just having a fluorscent hood ment you were a serious hobbist...Now I see T5 and T8, and LED, 6500K...I just want to grow a few plants in my tank for my fish.

Just a little info...My tank is not in direct sunlight at anytime of the day. On sunny or clear days, the room gets light enough to read in, but I usually turn on my tank's light at about 10am and keep it on till about 11pm...I have 3 Rosette Swords in there now. I've had them about 2 months and they are doing good. No algae...Pelco and two Apple Snails take care of that, I guess.

So what say you forum members??? Is there a certain blub I should buy that will help my plants, or is all that fancy stuff mostly for salt water tanks?

Thanks for all replies,
    Ghpr13 :)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone???

Ghpr13

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They have been doing well for 2 months? Id say your doing fine then,sorry it took so long

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I took a jump and got 10 Rosette Swords(Parviflorus V. Tropica), and 10
    Red Melon Swords(Echinodorus Barthii v."red melon")

My tank looks great and my fish are loving them! I also changed out my substrate from what I was given with the tank to "Eco-Complete". I changed out the substrate mainly because the substrate I had in the tank seem to contain tiny seashells...which I believe was due to the previous owner having cichlids in this tank.

Anyway, I have the Rosette swords on one side of the tank, and the Red Melon swords on the opposite side of the tank...with the black "Eco-Complete" substrate, my tank looks quite amazing. I think it's so neat watching my fish swim through the plants, and they seem like they're enjoying themselves more than ever. I was even able to release some baby Mollies and baby Guppies I had in a breeder net, and they are all surviving just fine.

BTW: Thanks Smaug for your reply.

Ghpr13

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear it's working out for you!
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    10 of any sword is to much for a 55 gal much less a 29! If they do well the fish better get a machete to move in your tank

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    10 of any sword is to much for a 55 gal much less a 29! If they do well the fish better get a machete to move in your tank
    Well, then I'll have a reason to tell the wife I need a much larger tank!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Phil
    Glad to hear it's working out for you!
    Thanks!

Ghpr13