· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's best to buy test kits online from a popular website, for example big als. They sell their stuff really fast and they have to get new ones once everything is sold. Unlike your LFS, they could be there for a year or two.
    Salman

Awards Showcase

Happy Mothers Day! - Drumachine09 Here's a little something for standing up and doing what you think is right! - RobbieG Congrats On Your New Addition! :) - MeganL3985 for stuff! - Nick_Pavlovski TOTM 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    You're Sweet...:) - **AquaQueen** Have an apple!! - 2manyfish Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry X-mas back at ya!!! - Kuli_Loach Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish 
    No Message - OscarFan Why we is all losing our Otos?! - Nick_Pavlovski Good luck with your Rasbora and for being Friends xxx - Fishalicious For letting me ramble on about fish and for the friendship! - digital3 In Memory, RIP Skarloey - digital3 
    For being you - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SkarloeysMom 

0 Not allowed!
    I got an idea this morning. I'm going to run all the tests my kit will do on my water with my test kit and then take a sample to PetSmart and compare the results. That should tell me if my other kit tests are still viable. I hope I haven't been getting back results since I started my 10g. However, that could explain some of the problems I had with that tank.

I looked all over my API test kit box and bottles and I found no expirations, just lot numbers. I'll let you all know what API says with they finally email me back.
    My tank:
    20g long - 8 Trigonostigma heteromorpha, 2 Corydoras brevirostris, 2 Corydoras agassizii, 1 Corydoras trilineatus named Julian

Awards Showcase

Happy Mothers Day! - Drumachine09 Here's a little something for standing up and doing what you think is right! - RobbieG Congrats On Your New Addition! :) - MeganL3985 for stuff! - Nick_Pavlovski TOTM 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    You're Sweet...:) - **AquaQueen** Have an apple!! - 2manyfish Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry X-mas back at ya!!! - Kuli_Loach Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish 
    No Message - OscarFan Why we is all losing our Otos?! - Nick_Pavlovski Good luck with your Rasbora and for being Friends xxx - Fishalicious For letting me ramble on about fish and for the friendship! - digital3 In Memory, RIP Skarloey - digital3 

0 Not allowed!
    I just got back from PetSmart. I'm not sure if having them test my water was worth the trouble. They just used the Jungle 6 in 1 dip strip test so I don't really know how accurate that is. Here's what he said my readings are:

ammonia - .25 ppm (he used a different test strip for that)
    nitrites - 0
    nitrates - between 5 and 10 ppm
    pH - 7.0
    Kh - very soft (between 40 and 80 ppm)
    Gh - moderate (he didn't tell me the number)

I got the same numbers except for ammonia. My test showed 0 ammonia. Now I don't know what to think. Who's reading is right?

I have never tested for Kh and Gh so I got those numbers I guess but what do they mean??
    My tank:
    20g long - 8 Trigonostigma heteromorpha, 2 Corydoras brevirostris, 2 Corydoras agassizii, 1 Corydoras trilineatus named Julian

0 Not allowed!
    Those strips aren't very accurate. I'd say your ammonia reading was right and his was not.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    So I finally got an answer back from API about my Nitrate test kit and here's what they said:

Both of those were made in 2006, so they should be fine. The last four digits of an API lot number show the month and year of manufacture.

If you send in the kit in question, we can examine it to determine if it is, in fact, inaccurate. We will send you a free kit in return regardless of what we find, in order to make up for the inconvenience.

Nice to know how to figure out the manufacture date from the lot number! I'll be sending the two questionable bottles back and getting a new kit because I know that bottle #2 is NOT working.
    My tank:

0 Not allowed!
    AWESOME update, thanks for posting that!
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks and no problem...I'm really glad they finally responded and had some useful information that I could pass on. It took almost a month for them to respond though!! I guess they don't have someone dedicated to email customer service. I probably should have called but I hate spending time on the phone for stuff like that.
    My tank: