· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Happy Mothers Day! - Drumachine09 Here's a little something for standing up and doing what you think is right! - RobbieG Congrats On Your New Addition! :) - MeganL3985 for stuff! - Nick_Pavlovski TOTM 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    You're Sweet...:) - **AquaQueen** Have an apple!! - 2manyfish Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry X-mas back at ya!!! - Kuli_Loach Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish 
    No Message - OscarFan Why we is all losing our Otos?! - Nick_Pavlovski Good luck with your Rasbora and for being Friends xxx - Fishalicious For letting me ramble on about fish and for the friendship! - digital3 In Memory, RIP Skarloey - digital3 
    For being you - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SkarloeysMom 

Default Shelf life of liquid test kits

0 Not allowed!
    I remember reading something about this and maybe it was Dave the new guy who has been keeping aquariums for many years who mention this. What is the shelf life of a liquid test kit for water testing? I have a master test kit that I bought last year. I just recently ran low on Nitrate test drops so I went and bought a kit with only the Nitrate test. I still had a bit of the old stuff left so I kept it. Every time I tested with the new drops I got ZERO nitrates which I know is wrong because when I use the old drops I got a reading of like 5ppm.

There is a lot number on the bottle so I thought maybe I could email API and find out how old the drops are. I wish they'd just put a damn expiration date on the bottle. I mean they MUST expire sometime, right??
    My tank:
    20g long - 8 Trigonostigma heteromorpha, 2 Corydoras brevirostris, 2 Corydoras agassizii, 1 Corydoras trilineatus named Julian

0 Not allowed!
    Usually the reagents will last about a year
    Go ahead - try to count my Bumblebee Gobies!

72 Gallon Bowfront
    Angel, Sharks, Tetras, Fire Eel
    30 Gallon
    African Butterfly, Violet Goby, Tetras, Danios
    30 Gallon
    Clown Loaches, Neons, BumbleBee Gobies, Tetras
    10 Gallon
    Baby Platies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    but the problem with this robbie is that we dont know when the kit was made... i buy all my testing supplies form petsmart so i have no idea!
    10 Gallon/ Quarantine
    Sump Project

29 Gallon
    8 Black Skirts
    10 Neons
    1 Clown Loach
    2 Ottocinclus
    1 Albino Cory

24 Gallon
    Finally Cycled!
    6 Blue Legged Crabs
    Anthelia
    Nuclear Holocaust Zoas
    Frogspawn
    Brown Caribbean Paly
    30 LB LR
    20 LB LS

Awards Showcase

Happy Mothers Day! - Drumachine09 Here's a little something for standing up and doing what you think is right! - RobbieG Congrats On Your New Addition! :) - MeganL3985 for stuff! - Nick_Pavlovski TOTM 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    You're Sweet...:) - **AquaQueen** Have an apple!! - 2manyfish Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry X-mas back at ya!!! - Kuli_Loach Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish 
    No Message - OscarFan Why we is all losing our Otos?! - Nick_Pavlovski Good luck with your Rasbora and for being Friends xxx - Fishalicious For letting me ramble on about fish and for the friendship! - digital3 In Memory, RIP Skarloey - digital3 
    For being you - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SkarloeysMom 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I just emailed the company with questions about this test kit and gave them the lot number. Hopefully they will be able to tell me something useful. If so, I'll pass it on.

Oh, I also asked them why they didn't put expiration dates on their test kits. Seems like a logical thing to do to me.
    My tank:
    20g long - 8 Trigonostigma heteromorpha, 2 Corydoras brevirostris, 2 Corydoras agassizii, 1 Corydoras trilineatus named Julian

0 Not allowed!
    No telling how old mine is, it had dust on it when I got it but it works I think.
    New chatroom!

0 Not allowed!
    I had a master kit go bad after maybe about 2 years or so. There certainly must be a certain span of time during which the reagents stop being quite as accurate. I would guess 12-18 months or so.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill M.
    but the problem with this robbie is that we dont know when the kit was made... i buy all my testing supplies form petsmart so i have no idea!
    The expiration date for mine is on the bottom of the box (Red Sea)

Aquarium Pharmacueticals is supposedly on the reagent bottle I would also try the bottom of the box if it was a master test kit (it may just be pressed in not inked on)

Sailefert - Dev had to email the company with the lot number
    Go ahead - try to count my Bumblebee Gobies!

72 Gallon Bowfront
    Angel, Sharks, Tetras, Fire Eel
    30 Gallon
    African Butterfly, Violet Goby, Tetras, Danios
    30 Gallon
    Clown Loaches, Neons, BumbleBee Gobies, Tetras
    10 Gallon
    Baby Platies

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got my API test kit online, and there was an expiration date on it, its on the bottom of the box. Mine expires in 10 months, but im a testaholic, so in a month ill have to buy a new one.
    Salman

0 Not allowed!
    To my experience, regeants start to decay after six months. Laboratory-grade regeants last two or three times that long. If refrigerated at 60 degrees they both last longer.
    I switched to electronic monitors years ago as I was tired of replacing regeants.

Dave

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have electric monitors for pH & hardness, but that's the only to available (that I know of) for freshwater. I bought the new Nitrate monitor but found out it was for saltwater only and had to return it.

This is a good post, none of my test bottles have expiration dates and I wondered the same as all of you.
    Michael