· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default My Tiger Oscar is not developing colours

0 Not allowed!
    Dear All,

I have a pair of tiger Oscar, It is not developing its colour

just a few questions regarding the same

1.) By when does the oscar retrieve its colours ( mine is only 3" ) ?

2.) I am currently feeding it with the pellets regularly and chicken Heart Occasionally, Am I wrong with the feedings ?

3.) I am also planning to breed Guppies as the feeder fish at home, As the Guppies are Available here in Plenty, Is this a good idea or shall i just go on with some thing else

Please do let me know if i have to do anything other than the above

Suggesions are always welcome

Thanks
    Shailesh
    "-- Journey of million miles begin’s with a single step.......... "

Thanks,
    Shailesh
    132 US Gallons artificially planted
    4 OSCARS

29 Gallons
    Guppies for my Oscars as a treat.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Some pics of the fish and the tank may help.
    How often are the water changes?
    How big is the tank? What filters?
    3" is small but their colors should have started coming out a while ago.
    Guppies are a good live feeders.
    Last edited by Northernguy; 01-23-2012 at 04:24 AM.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dear NG

I have the water changes every fortnight
    i have a 132 G tank ( 5'x2'x2') with an internal power filter

The colours are a combination of black and orange strips the black colour is developed well but the orange strips are very light to be visible, i contacted the LFS also but he says that it will catch the true colours once they are more than 4 inches long,

Also is breeding guppies easier at home Shall i try this or should i regularly buy them from the LFS,

Thanks
    Shailesh

Thanks,
    Shailesh
    4 OSCARS

29 Gallons

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    By all means breed your own,they will be a lot healthier.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    Don't expect it to color up that much till its about twice that size. The reason you see young oscars with brilliant orange coloration is that they are treated with hormones at the fish farms to make them easier to sell.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    It says 4 Oscars in your signature. Do you have two or four? And is the koi and pleco also with the Oscars?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dear Lady

I have two pairs of OSCARS ( one Pink Pair with orange strips and one Black with orange strips and the Koi are in a pair and one pleco. All in the same tank
    till now they are all comfortable and non agressive towards each other.

Also i am planning to get rid of the Koi Pairs soon to a friend of mine.

are they sick or not comfortable in the tank, Should i feed them with anything else to keep them healthy, Also i do have the water contents cleared every couple of weeks.

The pink ones are in great shape and good coloration, unlike the black ones

then what may be the problem with the black ones. is it that they are cross bred or something like that

Thanks
    Shailesh

Thanks,
    Shailesh
    4 OSCARS

29 Gallons

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In my experience, many tiger Oscars do not develop their final pattern and coloration until they are mature. I mean they gradually color up as they are a few inches long till they get quite big. For instance, who believes this ugly duckling may turn into this beauty when the time comes. However, it does not mean that every tiger Oscar will develop much of a coloration, it is a matter of genetics.
    80g Oscar Tank
    MTS cured!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow. That guy did turn out nice. Quite a difference a few inches makes for Oscars. Mine is just now starting to get good coloration and he/she is 2 years old.

10. Smile

0 Not allowed!
    its absolutly alright with your black tiger oscars and maybe your blackone not showing their true colors due to prensence of koi's and oscars show vivd colorations to show their nature just remove the koi's and maintain distance frm feeders as they are diseASE carriers and nutritionless and+ it will make ur oscars aggeresive and it will spoil their eating habits....