· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The difference that LEDs can make

0 Not allowed!
    I just remembered that I had some old pics to compare with so I thought I would post them.

Here are some pics of my clove polyps under T5 lighting. I had two actinic bulbs, one Fiji purple two super blue (18K), and one white bulb (18K)

Below is the same clove polyps three months later under LEDs. They grew along the side of the rocks and on top of some of them. Right now I have 3 aqua illumination SOL fixtures, each with eight 3W white cree bulbs, eight 3W super blue cree bulbs, and eight 3W royal blue (actinic) bulbs. Right now I’m running the with the white at 40%, blue at 80% and the royal blue at 75%.

Now, this is not a completely objective comparison, but it is close. The clove polyps did not change color over time, at least I did not notice it if they did up until the time I added the LEDs. There was a noticeable change in appearance that happened the minute I turned on the LEDs for the first time. When the room is filled with natural sunlight (before the lights come one) the clove pulps still look the same to me.

I would assume that not all of the differences in the photos is due to the LEDs, but most of it would be. I know the rock looks different but that would be due to the dry rock becoming live over time along with the coralline algae growth on it more than it would be due to the lighting change. I did take each before and after pic with a different camera which is why the after pic has a little more clarity to it. I used the same,(or at least what I believe to be the same) settings on the after camera as I did on the before camera. I would assume the difference in after camera would affect how the color is being displayed by a small amount.

I don’t really have any other picks with corals which did not change color on their own as a part of normal growth. These pics are the closest to the color differences that I can visually see. This is why that in the future, all lighting that I buy will be LEDs.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Completely cool Clove compare/contrast Cliff, Congrats!

Nothing like shining a bit of light on the subject.

Also, Alliteration is cool!
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    That's just awesome!
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, thats a stunning difference, Cliff.

I will be keeping my eye out for deals on used LEDs now fer sure.
    20gal long planted community

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some cloves look totally different under leds. At my lfs I almost bout a clump of cloves that had stunning amber coloration and truly looked like the were made from living gold. Iasked the girl to turn off the blues in the led light and have just a small mix of blue with the rest white . Those cloves turned into the blandest looking things ever!

Awards Showcase

You deserve a gift ! :) - MeganL3985 For doing research!  BTW...college ;) - Rue Put him with Bruce.... - jbeining75 Its good to have company - smaug Thought this might help while your're sick. Hope you feel better soon. - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    For the cards - William An Apple For Teaching Grad!  Congrats! - MeganL3985 You deserve to let yourself go for all the hard work you did to graduate!!! - Bolivian Ram Here's an apple for the teacher, great job Ellen - sailor A koi, because they love being in a school!! - smaug 
    Congrats on the job - sailor congrats on the job ! - Algenco For getting your teaching job - snipers_den Welcome back! - fins_n_fur merry xmas - smaug 
    For the new tank - Northernguy Way to go! DIY Stand. - Northernguy My condolances to you and your family. - Mith Good Luck, thanks for the rep! - Wild Turkey I thought you might like a Frontosa. - Brookfish 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Ellen4God Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Wow! Crazy difference!

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome cloves. Wanna sell some, lol. I haven't seen anything like that locally

I too have noticed a great difference since switching to led. I went from metal halide so it wasn't quite as drastic as coming from t5, like yours...but the colors on everything seem to really pop and all together look better. Sadly I still can't get my camera to take any pictures that due it justice...maybe I'm buy a film camera and see if that does any better, lol

Have you noticed a difference in tank temp or evaporation Cliff? I know you had t-5, but t-5's actually give off a little bit of heat. Our tank never fluctuates more then .2 degrees since switching to the leds and we went from 2-3 gallons a day evaporation down to 1/2 a gallon a day

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    wow.... so cliff.... are you coming to the light side of leds? XD i love seeing awesome results like this makes me love them more (leds that is)

but those cloves looks spectacular.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by labnjab
    Have you noticed a difference in tank temp or evaporation Cliff? I know you had t-5, but t-5's actually give off a little bit of heat. Our tank never fluctuates more then .2 degrees since switching to the leds and we went from 2-3 gallons a day evaporation down to 1/2 a gallon a day
    As I also added a enclosed canopy at the same time, I have noticed a difference. The enclosed top along with the reduced heat has cut down the evaporation a lot. I went from about 1.5 to 2 gallons to about 1 gallon. I also have noticed a more stable temp never changing more than about 0.5F
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What a stunning difference! I will definitely be looking further into this. I wonder if there is a list that documents different color combinations working best and worst for specific coral.....