· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default African cichlids help

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have 11 African cichlids from lake malawi and a jewel cichlid. My daughter brought home 2 new cichlids. After doing some research, I found out they are from lake Tanganyika...... Will these guys get along?? They are red banded moorii or something like that..... Thanks =}

0 Not allowed!
    Not a good idea to mix tropheus with mbuna. Tropheus really should be kept in species specific colonies for the best chance of success.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are they more aggressive? Or are the mbuna going to torture them?

0 Not allowed!
    I've kept tropheus and mbuna's together for years with no issue. The first tropheus to be introduced in my mbuna set up was a solitary t. dubosi back in 2009. I was expecting some issues because I don't like adding a single new fish to an established mbuna set up, but she was completely ignored. I later added a colony of Orange-Flame Bemba tropheus to the same tank, and zero issues with the mbuna's as well.

These two groups of fish, while from different rift lakes, are practically on par with each other in regards to aggressive temperment, dietary requirements, and general behavior.

You may have more issue with just having two tropheus as they can be highly conspecific aggressive (that is, aggression towards their own kind). They do best in colonies, as Lab_Rat mentioned, but more for their own protection against themselves (basically there's more likelihood of tropheus vs tropheus trouble than mbuna vs tropheus when keeping two tropheus in a mbuna set up).
    Last edited by kaybee; 11-27-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! They are such nice color and am hoping to keep them. The two I just put in pretty much stay together so I am hoping they get along. Everyone else in the tank chases them from their "spots" in the caves but I am changing it around tonight so they can claim new territories. I am hoping they will do fine. I am done adding....for now lol