· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

Default Feeding Peas: A Photo Tutorial

1 Not allowed!
    Peas are an excellent addition to your fish feeding diet and have been frequently recommended when you have fish that are getting a bit bloated from constipation. Peas are incredibly high in fiber.

I happen to use frozen peas, but you can do this with fresh or canned peas. (Mostly because I don't actually enjoy eating peas myself). I use a cappuccino mug for my pea-making that fairly accurately reflects my opinion of peas when I plan to serve them... but any bowl or mug will do.

Measure out a serving of peas suitable for your tank inhabitants and add just enough water to cover them at the bottom of your bowl.

Microwave them for 1 minute on high. Remove from the microwave and fill your bowl the rest of the way with cool water from the tap.

Drain off the water from the peas. (I just use my hand held lightly across the mouth of the mug.)

At this point you may have some peas that during cooking skinned themselves. If they haven't popped out of their fine skin, you will want to peel off that outer skin skin. Just use your fingernail to puncture the outer skin layer and with a gental squish the two halves of the pea should pop right out.

In this photo you can see some pea-innards at the top of the mug, with a pea skin slightly to the left above my remaining non-skinned peas.

Lastly you just smush that pea right between your thumb and index finger and drop it in the tank. Smushing makes them fall a bit slower so your top and mid level feeders can get at them more before they land on the substrate. It also makes it fairly simple for the smaller mouthed fish to take a bite out of a big pea. (Just pitch out or compost your pea skins.

As a final note, since peas are lighter in color, your fish poo will turn to be a bit pea-colored as well. That's perfectly normal.

Awards Showcase

You deserve a gift ! :) - MeganL3985 For doing research!  BTW...college ;) - Rue Put him with Bruce.... - jbeining75 Its good to have company - smaug Thought this might help while your're sick. Hope you feel better soon. - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    For the cards - William An Apple For Teaching Grad!  Congrats! - MeganL3985 You deserve to let yourself go for all the hard work you did to graduate!!! - Bolivian Ram Here's an apple for the teacher, great job Ellen - sailor A koi, because they love being in a school!! - smaug 
    Congrats on the job - sailor congrats on the job ! - Algenco For getting your teaching job - snipers_den Welcome back! - fins_n_fur merry xmas - smaug 
    For the new tank - Northernguy Way to go! DIY Stand. - Northernguy My condolances to you and your family. - Mith Good Luck, thanks for the rep! - Wild Turkey I thought you might like a Frontosa. - Brookfish 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Ellen4God Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Great tutorial!! I'll be using this once my tanks are up and running!!

3. Unhappy respond back asap please

0 Not allowed!
    Will it be Suitable for 3 young tetras and 2 young guppies and a pleco bottom feedrer? I am aware that i will have to feed them very little amount since my fish are small.
    Last edited by youngbreedy15; 01-04-2012 at 04:32 AM.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Peas are suitable for most fish. You will just want to adjust the amount of peas you feed to meet the amount of fish you have.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great tut - you do exactly as I do. I just fed everyone a round of peas last night. BTW - I feel the same way you do about eating them myself - yuck!
    PaMeLa
    5 gallon/6.5 gallon/29 gallon/37 gallon/ 55 gallon {and a 20 gallon in my office!}

0 Not allowed!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Trillianne again.
    thanks!
    29: Harlequin Raspboras, Zebra Danios, Black Skirt Tetras, Platies, CAE
    10: Neons, Otos, Amano Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Feeding the tanks peas is so much fun. The betta girls seems to get the most enjoyment out of them. Even my tiny Magnolia turns into a ravenous shark with her peas. She shakes them and carries them around the tank. We just giggle crazily at her.
    75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta
    Lack of planning on your part doesn't justify an emergency on my part.

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent!

BTW...luv your mug...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies guys.

And as grouchy face as that mug is he makes me smile. I am thinking i got him at the local dollar store several years ago. Worth every penny!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How do we figure out how many peas to put in per fish?
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(