· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterilization

1. Default Sterilization

0 Not allowed!
    Down here in Texas it's getting warmer, and where I live we (supposedly) only have a few cold days left (40 degrees Fahrenheit and above). I've cultured live bloodworms before, and would like to culture wrigglers (mosquito larvae) in addition.

I've got everything set up and am ready for the adults to lay the eggs in the water, but there's one problem: how am I supposed to sterilize the live larvae while keeping them alive? I was going to boil them, but that kills them, and I might as well just buy Hikari sterilized frozen bloodworms. I'd like to get more experience under my belt, but I don't seem to know how to sterilize live larvae.

Any ideas? Is there some kind of sterilizer for aquariums I can use? Do I just used sterile, boiled water? Surely the adults can have some sort of bacteria/virus in them that transfers over to the eggs, right?
    Main Tank - 55g with six white cloud mountain minnows, five peppered cory catfish (occasionally treated with frozen bloodworms), six Otocinclus (regularly fed with blanched zucchini), and three ghost shrimp. HOB filter is a Top Fin 75, fully cycled. Air supply is a dual-output air pump, with the two lines connected with a T-valve into one airstone block. Not planted, but has five artificial decoration plants, some diatoms on them, hopefully they'll go away soon.

0 Not allowed!
    I live in Texas too, I've already been bitten by a few pesky (female, of course) mosquitos...in February..I am going to raise some larvae myself, but I am not going to sterilize them, I'm just gonna feed them live...I am not concerned about the larvae passing anything on to my fish...after all, that is how they feed on them in the wild
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 02-25-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    well the only mosquitoes that bite are the females, the males will never touch you.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    That's why I said it.

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    I feed mosquito larvae to my fish and never sterilize them. I usually just net some out of the bucket and throw them in with the fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    I feed mosquito larvae to my fish and never sterilize them. I usually just net some out of the bucket and throw them in with the fish.
    Where you and me live, they're plentiful...I can't wait to try some live food, at my favorite price....*free*

1 Not allowed!
    I suppose there's some risk of a virus being transferred but short of not feeding there's no solution for that. Biggest concern for most of us is taking care not to introduce damselfly and dragonfly larvae with the mosquito wrigglers. Look up what they look like. Rinse out an old butter tub or icecream tub, something white. Fill with aquarium water and tip your catch in that for an inspection before you feed them to the fish

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Interesting. I've been tempted to try this in the past but have also been scared of transferring disease/ parasites. I live in thick mosquito country too, although I have thankfully not seen any yet this year. I thought winter might be over for us, but we're getting a few snow flurries this morning. Be a few weeks yet before I can try feeding mosquito larvae.

-S

0 Not allowed!
    Mosquito larvae generally stick just below the water surface to breed. If you can net them from there you're very unlikely to pick up anything else.
    If you use any kind of pesticides in the vicinity then you'd better not attempt to feed your fish with those larvae.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Mosquito larvae generally stick just below the water surface to breed. If you can net them from there you're very unlikely to pick up anything else.
    If you use any kind of pesticides in the vicinity then you'd better not attempt to feed your fish with those larvae.
    Good advice, dutchie, thanks...I will have to be careful, because mosquitos here are a major pest in the summertime, and the county does aerial spraying to control them...we have sporadic cases of people contracting West Nile virus from mosquito bites in my county, and surrounding ones as well