· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default What is up with my Cories?

0 Not allowed!
    So, for the past month I had been under the impression that my Cories were suffering from ich. They had, and continue to have, a good amount of very shiny specks on their bodies, mainly away from appendages. They also dash and bump against the sand, supposedly an ich symptom. About three weeks ago, I moved all four of them to a small 10 gallon hospitable tank. I medicated them for about two weeks with Malachite green, under double the recommended dosage for scaleless fish (as I was told to do so by a member of this forum) until I ran out of medication.

After those two weeks, I couldn't see any of these spots. I moved them back to the main tank and saw that they still (or again) had the very shiny specks. I almost believe now that these specks are little fragments of sand, and in the hospital tank where there was no substrate they simply were free from it.

However, why would my Cories continue to dart and scratch against the sand like they do? Why would these specks still be on them? Other than that, they act perfectly healthy, I see them swimming around everywhere in the tank and following each other as I type. If they do still have ich, how can I finally get rid of it?

I feel very silly for asking these questions, but I'm just perplexed as to why my fish would have these specks (after nearly 2 months of the same sand substrate without having them on their bodies) and still behave normally.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No wonder your m doesn't work! Here is some more to replace what you sloshed. - mommy1   Bunny pest control penquin. - mommy1   I severely underestimated her stupidity... which was stupid of me! - Honey Badger 1   Well, from where I am sittin' it is good to have you back man! Have one on me. - Honey Badger 1   Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - 850R   

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul102695
    If they do still have ich, how can I finally get rid of it?
    IMO you have treated only the fish - NOT the environment they live in [Which is still infected with it]. It naturally follows that every time you put them back in they simply get another case of it. The continued flashing is a sign of this.

Ich looks like grains of salt on the fish, You can see some helpful info about the treatment of Ich about halfway down this page.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I figured that the fish being elsewhere (the hospitable tank) would eliminate the ich in the main tank.

Thank you, but I know what ich looks like, though I don't recall anyone describing the spots as shiny. These are very reflective and don't look like salt, in my opinion.

What exactly do I do now then? I forgot to mention that I medicated the main tank for a week, before moving the fish to the hospital tank. There was medication for two weeks in both tanks, why would the ich still be alive and well if the infected fish were removed? My Neon Tetra in the main tank have shown no signs of ich whatsoever, all throughout the duration of the Cories' illness.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No wonder your m doesn't work! Here is some more to replace what you sloshed. - mommy1   Bunny pest control penquin. - mommy1   I severely underestimated her stupidity... which was stupid of me! - Honey Badger 1   Well, from where I am sittin' it is good to have you back man! Have one on me. - Honey Badger 1   Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - 850R   

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by paul
    Thank you, but I know what ich looks like, though I don't recall anyone describing the spots as shiny. These are very reflective and don't look like salt, in my opinion.
    Clarify please, Are you saying it's not Ich? Then why treat for it? A picture would be worth another 993 words thank you.

Before we go any further I suggest that you actually read the article I previously linked you to that is titled "Ich: An in-depth Explanation" as your other subsequent questions are all answered in it.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Clarify please, Are you saying it's not Ich? Then why treat for it? A picture would be worth another 993 words thank you.

Before we go any further I suggest that you actually read the article I previously linked you to that is titled "Ich: An in-depth Explanation" as your other subsequent questions are all answered in it.
    + 1 to the above. A close-up pic of these fish would help to solve this "mystery" problem.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with 850R. Once you had ick in the main tank, moving the corys only moved the ick to the second tank, as well. Corys and all bottom feeders are most susceptible to Ick because they are on the bottom of the tank where the ick is reproducing so the first fish to be attacked. Same reason the Clown loaches will show the Ick first.

Now and then, if you catch the ick immediately you can get it moved out but once more than one show the signs of it, the whole tank needs treating. I suspect you did not treat long enough. Treatment needs to continue to at least a week after you no longer see the Ick. It has simply left the fish and is reproducing on the bottom for another larger onslaught.

But if you are seeing spots and these corys are scratching themselves in the sand, then you can pretty much figure it's ick. However, you claim to have been seeing this for a month? A month of ick and all would be dead and covered with ick by now, I would think.

I also would not dose half doses. Cooper meds are bad for bottom feeders but most all other Ick medications are fine at a full dose. Sounds to me as they were not medicated correctly or for long enough.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 11-22-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    850R, the whole essence of my inquiries was to see what exactly members of this forum thought was wrong. The premise was: are my fish infected with ich in the first place? If so, what do I do now? I do or did not know what exactly was wrong because of the odd events that had passed. Also, please do not believe that I have not read up on this. I have read that entire article you linked. One month ago. I've read about a dozen articles on ich and its treatment since I first expected its presence in my tank. I appreciate you posting that but please do not underestimate my willingness to help my fish.

Unfortunately, I do not own a camera and I understand that this really hinders your efforts and I'm sorry for that. All I can say is that there are several, as in a dozen or two, of these reflective specks on each of the Cories, mainly around the head. When one changes their angle some become visible and others disappear. They're almost not spots, just very tiny specks of reflection and light.

Lady Hobbs, that's exactly what's confusing me. I don't understand how ich could have infected the Cories for such a long duration. Maybe it's come in two waves and that interim period you and 850 describe allowed the Cories enough time to recover to face the next infection? Your opinion is most certainly better than mine. What do you think I should I do to eliminate ich, if this is ich, in the main tank?

Thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate all of you just trying to help me and fish out.
    Last edited by Paul102695; 11-23-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   There ya go - Fisharefriends27   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   I love my Harlequins! Thanks for the suggestion :) - kurly   

0 Not allowed!
    I think that corrys naturaly have a shine to them. What you are describing sounds perfectly normal to me. If it goes away as the light changes and has been going on for over a month then something tells me it is just part of the fish. Also since you have not seen the traditional white spots of Ich. I think that some fish are just reflective like that. What variety of corry do you have? Look up green cory fish. There are a couple of photos that the fish have a shine to some of their scales. Hope that this helps.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ldoerr. that would most definitely be great news, but I'm somewhat doubtful. They're Peppered Cories. The fact that I noticed these specks around the same time I noticed the fish flashing in the sand testifies against this though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Lightbulb omt

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul102695
    I have read that entire article you linked.
    I did not link you an article about Ich, I linked to you to the AC page on fish diseases.

If you finished that article you were almost to where I suggested you go.

Go there again & scroll about halfway down the page & as I indicated you will see the info I refereed to.

It's an alphabetic list of links to disease specific articles, Three of these are about Ich and they are titled:

Ich: An Old Cure for an Old Disease - Information on diagnosing and treating anchor worms.Natural methods to cure ich

Ich/ich on scaleless fish - Information on treating ich on scaleless fish such as botias.
    &
    Ich: An in-depth Explanation - A in-depth article on ich.

I suggest starting with the last one and as I mentioned all the info you require is there.