· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: refugiums

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know beans about "miracle mud".

I have read a lot about adding macro algae to sumps and refugiums. From what I have read and seen, they do need a light and typically do better with the warmer tones of light, say around 5500K. Almost similar lighting to a algae scrubber. I was considering adding some cheato to my sump a while back but decided against it as my nitrate levels are less than 1 ppm.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    I was considering adding some cheato to my sump a while back but decided against it as my nitrate levels are less than 1 ppm.
    Precisely why I feel they are not that beneficial to the average system to warrant the expense. Sure, they can provide a continual pod population, but a well setup system will also provide this. I see the refugium in the same light as I see things like Plenums, Algae Scrubbers, and vodka dosing. None of those things are bad (vodka can be if not done right) for your system, but none of them are necessities either. They all have their benefits, but all those benefits can be achieved without them as well. They are a matter of choice, not necessity.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    For nutrient export via macro algae, and copepod production, yes, even a 5 gallon 'fuge. Since both fish and inverts eat 'pods', a refugium continually adds them and their nauplii.

Dave
    +1 to this. The fuge section in our sump only holds around 5 gallons and its working out great for the pod population. We've had a mandarin for almost a year, and she's nice and plump and constantly eating and our pods population is just as healthy as before we added the mandarin. We have never added pods to the system other then as hitchikers when adding rock or chaeto, so I'd like to think the safe haven of our refugium has a lot to do with their population,

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Labjab. Do you use a skimmer as well?
    I'm still sort of looking at different ones. The bigger ones are all too big for me to hang on the end of the tank so I could see it and I don't really have room for the bigger types that would have to go on the back. I really like the idea of having another dimension to the main tank. I tried a few macros in main tank and did not like how fragile they were. I do appreciate all the input,it is all so useful,thx.

0 Not allowed!
    I do use a skimmer, a coralife 125, not the greatest but it gets the job done. Been wanting to upgrade, but can only do that if I get a bigger sump.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump