· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    You're talking 8" goldfish and I'm talking 12" goldfish which is what comets and commons can grow to. And even larger.

A goldfish that grows to 12" (and possibly more) is about the size of an Oscar. You would not put an Oscar in a 36" tank. If you are talking smaller types of goldfish, then yes.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    You're talking 8" goldfish and I'm talking 12" goldfish which is what comets and commons can grow to. And even larger.

A goldfish that grows to 12" (and possibly more) is about the size of an Oscar. You would not put an Oscar in a 36" tank. If you are talking smaller types of goldfish, then yes.
    People have been known to grown to 8', yet more things are sized for the average person then what height people 'Can grow to'

The average common or comet goldfish, while it CAN grow to 12"-16" will most likely NEVER go beyond 8"-10", sure we can find examples of goldfish in the one foot and above range, and i know many people above 6', but that does not mean that it is an average or even Expected size

On another note, Lady Hobbs i feel your also completely neglecting the rest of the dimensions i mentioned...a 36" tank means absolutely nothing unless you talk about the depth and the height also...i would absolutely never put an Goldfish in something like a 36"L x 12"W x 13"H tank, but the difference in area between that tank and a 36"L x 19"W x 25"H is huge and is VERY due able, its more then twice the size and the extra 7" of depth is across the entire tank

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridewithme38
    The average common or comet goldfish, while it CAN grow to 12"-16" will most likely NEVER go beyond 8"-10"
    Not when you cram them in tanks that are too small. This is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you say oscars rarely hit 18" so it is okay to keep them in a 55 you are making it so. The reason oscars and goldfish rarely reach their full potential is because certain people suggest putting them in tanks that are too small because the people before them stunted their fish by putting them in tanks that are too small.

Cram kids in closets and none will reach 5', so kids rarely reach 5', so it is okay to keep them in a closet.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    Cram kids in closets and none will reach 5', so kids rarely reach 5', so it is okay to keep them in a closet.
    How tall do KIDS usually grow? I'd say the average height of a KID IS 5' after Kid age when they hit the teen years obviously its taller, and why do you have such short closets? all mine are average room height...

Why do you guys keep talking about Capacity of Tanks instead of Dimensions?? you mention Dimension of fish! A 55 Gallon is 48"s and i've got to admit i know nothing of Oscars and they seem a bit off topic when talking about goldfish, they're not even the same family of fish

I'm not suggesting a tank that too small i'm suggesting the PERFECT sizes
    Last edited by Ridewithme38; 11-18-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, this is just funny now.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, this is just funny now.
    I wonder if you would tell this member that his 36" tank is too small for the 3 goldfish he has?

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...48&postcount=1

The thing is, you can't just talk about one dimension of a tank and say that it is undersized just because of that...there are dozens of more factors that come into play, width, height, filtration, substrate, ornaments/plants, water change schedules, water flow.....etc., etc., etc., you're just misleading people and spreading mis-information when you don't consider the rest of the information

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Are you reading posts or just looking for something to argue.

There is a HUGE difference between the minimum needed for fancy/round-bodied goldfish and the minimum needed for long-bodied goldfish like comets and commons. Fancies are much less active and therefore do not require the same minimum length needed by comets. The other dimensions matter too, but the more active, larger swimmers like comets need more space. I consider their bare minimum to be a 6' 125 gallon. Yes, other dimensions matter too, along with filtration, water changes, etc., but there are still bare minimums.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are you reading posts or just looking for something to argue.

There is a HUGE difference between the minimum needed for fancy/round-bodied goldfish and the minimum needed for long-bodied goldfish like comets and commons. Fancies are much less active and therefore do not require the same minimum length needed by comets. The other dimensions matter too, but the more active, larger swimmers like comets need more space. I consider their bare minimum to be a 6' 125 gallon. Yes, other dimensions matter too, along with filtration, water changes, etc., but there are still bare minimums.
    A Shubunkin can grow to 18" and is in that members 36" wide tank...Did you look at the link i posted? I'm getting the impression you just don't know much about Goldfish...i mean there's nothing wrong with that, this is as good as any time to learn, but trust me....you're incorrect in your assumptions

I guess your goldfish can have fun in its 60"L x 8"W tank, but i'd prefer 36"L x 36" W so they can actually turn around and swim
    Last edited by Ridewithme38; 11-18-2011 at 03:59 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I looked. He has stocked a 1 Shubunkin Goldie, 1 Chocolate Ryukin Goldie, 1 Calico Fantail Goldie.

Fantails reach about 6", Ryukins about 4-6" and Shubunkins reach about 10" but his Shubunkin is obviously young still and has only started to grow. Do you see a 10" goldfish in that tank?

And, now for the third time, you are again missing the point because we were talking about comets and commons that grow to one foot......not fantails, nor Ryukins.

Telling Fishguy he knows nothing about goldfish is ludercious since he's kept fish for over 20 years and currently has a tank of goldies himself. Seems to me in your first post here you are just "thinking" of setting up a goldfish tank but you think your information is more valid than someone who has kept fish for 20 years?

Because your opinion is different than everyone elses in this thread, does not mean everyone is dumb and you're the only one that knows what you're doing.

Sorry es31710 but I am closing this thread since it's going nowhere.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 11-18-2011 at 10:56 PM.