· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Smile 75 gallon dream tank

0 Not allowed!
    I was on thatpetplace.com looking at price estimates for my dream 75gal tank the other day, and found the tank, glass canopy, stand, gravel, new filter, new ornaments, some new fish, and a few live plants and the background for $475. i figure ill get it after income tax. Or get it used from Florida at my grandmas friend's house. Ill probably end up buying my new one....

So stocking! I did my research and i think i found what i want. Right now in my very heavily stocked tank (oops, good thing im upgrading) i have:

1 Comet Goldfish, female
    1 Dwarf Gourami, male
    1 Gold Gourami, female
    1 Black Neon Tetra
    1 Fancy Guppy, male
    5 Dalmation Mollies, 2 male 3 female, one male is not sexually active for some reason even though its the other male's brother and developed much faster (?)
    1 Rubbernose Pleco (i have driftwood)
    1 Bleeding Heart Tetra (i dont want any more because he was in a school and they were mean to other fish)
    2 Longfin Blue Danios (came with current tank, dont want more)
    5 Bloodfin Tetras, 3 male, 2 female
    2 Java Loach (store only had 3 in stock, third one broke neck not watching where he swam)

...So when i get the 75 all set-up they will love me. And then I definitely will add:
    5 more Black Neon Tetras
    5 more Black Kuhlii Loaches (if they can find 5)
    2 Guppies, Female for the current male to play with

Add another fish group to fill it out and stocking will look like this. Ok, it wont upload... Click the link:
    http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.p...:200909300025:

The cories are an idea im thinking about. Anybody have a better idea for what else to add there that is compatible with these guys? Or should i leave that space empty and have ...92% stocking (according to Aqadvisor)?

I will have my filter that i have now (Tetra Whisper 40) and a Hagen Aquaclear 110 both on this tank. AqAdvisor says thats 113% filtration capacity. Quick Question: Now, since im using the Whisper, i dont have to do a fish-less cycle on the tank right? Because the Whisper has all the BB already established for an overstocked aquarium, that alone should be able to handle the new one with same fish for a few weeks as i slowly add the new ones right? Im asking this because the current tank is heavy and sits right where the new tank is going, so if i have to do a fish-less cycle i have to take these next few months to figure out how to do this.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    Happy to hear your enthusiasm and that you are going for a good sized tank. That's the good news. The bad news is that your stocking suggestion is less than ideal.

Most of the fish you list there are schooling/shoaling fish and as such will be very uncomfortable being in a group of less than about 5. The goldfish generally speaking is not compatible with the rest of the tank.

You should consider groups of at least 5 for the schooling/shoaling fish and drop the goldfish idea. If you don't the fish will be stressed and the tank will not be as attractive as it can be.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My grandma loves Petri and wont get rid of her (thats the goldfish), so the upgrade to the 75 is big enough for her to live comfortably. I know most say that tropical isnt good for goldfish, but some sources also say theres no proof, so to make my grandma happy i was planning on making Petri happy with upgrade and keeping it at that. Thanks for the input though. Which fish (other than the Bleeding Heart and the danios that i dont want) do i have that are schoolers and arent in schools in my new idea? I can fix those then instead of the cories...

I might see if the store will take my danios. And the Bleeding Heart situation is same as goldfish. I really dont like that thing though. Used to have more back even before i was even close to overstocked, and they all fought eachother and ruined my other fishs' fins. Hated them so bad. But shes attached to this one thats left.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    Is there any reason the GF can't live in the 40g when you upgrade - Seems Win/win to me.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im told the 40 is too small for a 12inch fish. Is it not? Shes been growing rapidly lately. Already flying past 8inches. I thought she was stunted from my years of bad fish keeping that i am finally starting to correct. She started out as a carnival goldfish, my neighbor won her and stuck her in a 5 gal for a year, i put her in a 20gal for almost 2 years and she grew to 5 inches, and then finally put in the 40gal (which i now learned is a 30gal! O.O) and now shes growing and is currently 8.5inches. Current tank is 30x14x18.

Edit: If its not to small then okay! She can go in there all alone, maybe ill find some other coldwater fish for her (any ideas) and she can live happily ever after. That also gives me even more room for my stocking in 75. :)
    Last edited by ekfishlover2011; 11-13-2011 at 10:17 PM.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    Current tank is 30x14x18.
    Ah, It won't work, I was hoping you had a 40 breeder. FYI This is a 32g tank not a 40g according to the math.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know. I was told when i got it that it was a 40 and then just recently went on the volume calculator here and found out its only 30. Thats what i get for listening to my dad. I have a new stocking idea. Ill convince my grandma to let me get rid of her Bleeding Heart Tetra and ill lose the Danios too. Then the goldfish is the only thing out of place, and we can have a real school for my bloodfins! I cut out the cories too, i dont need them. :D

http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.p...:200912072118:
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    I am sure you know that site is more of a guide than something to carve in stone.
    What does that say about your filtration? It's pretty much Standard issue to have filtration equivalent to twice the volume of your tank.
    It's especially relevant when stocking at or near the limit as you are.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea i know its just a guide. Its fun to use it though. Cool that i can just pick and choose and it gives me all this info. For filtration ill have my 40gal one (im really underfiltered and overstocked atm due to my ignorance) and im getting a new 110. That gives me 150. It says that for the last idea with the 15 bloodfins in there my filtration capacity's sitting at "114% for selected breeds". Even tells me how much water i need to change every week! :D Ill still just probably do 35ish%. Thats why i come here to double check and see what you all think, and then document plans and take suggestions and get it all perfect and finally show end result! :D

While we're on subject of filters, if i have both running, do i have to cycle the tank fish-less, or is it fine to have them in there right away because the 40 has the BB already? I plan to take all substrate and probably take all the old water and put in new tank with new stuff as well, if that affects it at all.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    you should be fine just moving the filter. Give it a few weeks before you add any new fish. Or, ideally, buy the new filter first, and run that on low in your current tank while you're getting the rest of the stuff to get a bit of a head start.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails