· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Talking Complete re-do of the main tank!

0 Not allowed!
    My friend offered me a sunken ship ornament for when i upgrade in March to a 75gal. Its HUGE!!! 15 inches long, 10inches high at highest part, 6 inches wide. My tanks only 30x14x20. I got it friday and was going to wait until my upgrade but decided my tanks been same setup fro about 6 months, lets get a new one. Here are the daylight pictures of how it looked when i was done. Excuse the cloudy water, i had to dig out half the tanks gravel, which caused some severe clouding.

Front tank view. Very large ornament takes up half of tank.
    http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...77252992_n.jpg

Rear view of ship. Its hollow and has lots of holes, so all my fish can fit in, even my goldfish can fit through about 80% of the holes.
    http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...71307874_n.jpg

Other side of tank. I wanted to show the front of the ship. Also here you see that i heavily planted this half of the tank and gave it a purely natural look, except for my beloved anchor that is behind my driftwood.
    http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...55567986_n.jpg

It took several hours to figure out this next part - nighttime coolness factor. A ghostly sunken ship needs a ghostly light at night! I have a blue LED light-up bubble wand. I decided if i stuck that in the ship, it would glow awesome. I was right. Much easier said than done though.

Here we see the glow. Nice.
    http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...91976001_n.jpg

The smaller fish (tetras and mollies) seem to be attracted to the light (safety factor i guess) and all 10 of them jammed in there the first few times i turned it on. But not this time. Here you can see the wire and the tubing to the wand. I had to attempt to squeeze the wand through the holes. And then if that wasnt hard enough i had to suction cup it to the glass bottom under the heavy ship. So hard...
    http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...38780103_n.jpg

So now this will be the new setup until March when i get a tank it actually fits in! :D I cant wait. Then maybe i will be able to bring back my other ornaments i had to store elsewhere.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is your background Hogwarts?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its supposed to be yes, but i noticed the "dark mark" is a monkey skull face. So its close, but no cigar. Its cool though! Going to have to get rid of it when i upgrade in 4 months to my 75gal... Wont fit on there. Im going for 100% natural tank there though (boats are natural, they sink and are found in rivers and oceans and do have fish in them) so im getting a rock formation background or the river background then.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That eery glow is spooky cool! Nice job!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I might have to undo it all. The ship was really nasty when i got it. Nasty like, when i got it wet to remove spiderwebs i smelled dog urine very strongly. So i was washing it in what i thought was a very light bleach solution for a while trying to get it off. Then i thought i rinsed it off good. Guess not. I tested every day since, normal readings. Until last nite when i got an ammonia spike, but no irregular feeding or anything, no deaths, no changes except that ship, so i blame it.

Luckily not one fish died either, though that has me stumped, because the kit came out at almost 0.5ppm! (darker than 0.25, but just slightly lighter than 0.5) I did a 30% water change and added an ammonia removing filter insert (API Nitra-ZORB) for right now and i tested it this morning and got slightly less than 0.25, but i think Sunday i might have to remove the whole setup. Unless... If i do 30% water changes every day and keep that Nitra-ZORB in there and air pumps running full force (seems to help) for a few weeks, do you think the toxins from the ship will have gone away with WCs? Or is it better to... pun intended... Abandon ship?
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything