· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For feeding them I'd try a pellet food meant for ciclids. I'm using new life spectrum right now and its great, its a little pricey but you only have to feed a couple pellets per fish and it should last a long time.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I put together a wee cave yesterday.

And here it is in situ. I'm hoping the apistos might breed, but so far only the BN pleco seems interested in it

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some new pics
    Apisto and pleco

New inhabitants: glowlight tetras

What are you doing out when the lights are on, Assassin?

Apisto guarding his cave

The female apisto is still being elusive for the camera. She's spending her time in the various nooks of the bogwood.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    FTS

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Managed to get some pics of the female Apisto. She seems to have picked out a cave and is busy excavating sand out of it.

Here she is, eyeballing me outside her cave. That's it between the wood and the stone cave I'd built.

Finally, there appears to be a white fungus growing on the substrate. I've broken it up with my fingers but it seems to grow back in a matter of hours. Any ideas?

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like standard new tank fungus. Shouldn't hurt. Syphon it away if it bothers you. Adding a piece of almond leaf/catappa leaf might also keep it down and your apisto (cacatuoides right?) will appreciate a hint of tannins in the water.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, talldutchie. I was trying to to be too concerned about the fungus because all the fish seem happy, but it was worrying me. It'll go away on its own, will it?

I've been considering tinting the water anyway; I think it'd really set off the glowlight tetras, but I don't know if I can get those leaves easily. I don't suppose that popping a teabag in the filter would work?

0 Not allowed!
    There was a discussion recently on an English forum about using teabags. That got two serious replies after which it got sidetracked into a discussion about whether to add milk or not.

Catappa leaf can be ordered online quite easily (ebay perhaps?) and since it can be mailed in an envelope the postage should be minimal. Another option is alder cones which can be found in temperate climate regions all over the northern hemisphere. In either case start slowly, with leaf a piece of 3x5cm is quite enough, with cones 2, 3 at most and add more after 2-3 weeks if you think it's necessary. No need to boil them. Carbon in the filter will remove tannins so if you run carbon it's futile.

Some people chose to make blackwater extract using alder cones, oak leaf and a touch of peat. I know it works but for a community tank I rarely see the point.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OMG! FRY! The Apistos have reproduced! I was sitting looking at the tank when something small and grey moved across it. I assumed it was a fly on the outside of the tank so I didn't think much of it, but my brain insisted that it wasn't moving like a fly. 3 Apisto fry are hovering around Mama.

I wondered if they were feeling frisky because the male recently became a real jerk to the tetras, but I put that down to being used to having the tank pretty much to himself. I'm not all that bothered about growing them out. If they survive that's cool, if they don't then I won't have to worry about finding homes for them.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OMG! FRY! The Apistos have reproduced! I was sitting looking at the tank when something small and grey moved across it. I assumed it was a fly on the outside of the tank so I didn't think much of it, but my brain insisted that it wasn't moving like a fly. 3 Apisto fry are hovering around Mama.

I wondered if they were feeling frisky because the male recently became a real jerk to the tetras, but I put that down to being used to having the tank pretty much to himself. I'm not all that bothered about growing them out. If they survive that's cool, if they don't then I won't have to worry about finding homes for them.