· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    In regards to your tadpole that won't change into a frog, could it be that he still is sensing the seasons from an indoor tank and has decided to overwinter As a tadpole? Maybe you'll see some change in spring
    Or alternatively could it be the lack of seasonal cues in the indoor tank that made him confused? Just putting out ideas...

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I went searching for some frog experts and found a frog forum at frogforum.net. They are positive that my frog is NOT a leopard frog. They're reasonably confident that it's a bullfrog. I thought bullfrog tadpoles looked quite a bit different than mine but as it turns out the appearance of bullfrog tadpoles is highly variable.

The other interesting thing about bullfrogs is that they can take 1 to 2 years to go from tadpoles to frogs... so that explains why these guys are taking so long to transform.

So... Brhino and Daughter's Leopard Frog Adventure is, in fact, Brhino and Daughter's Bullfrog Adventure.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    See!! I knew that wasn't a leaopard frog. I may be young but I know my frogs

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    Today marks big changes for the frog and tadpole! We're getting the room they're in ready to be my daughter's new room, and we don't have space for the spare 10-gallon tank anymore, so the tadpole has moved in with the community tank. I've done some research on this and I think it should work out... the community take is perhaps a bit warm for the tadpole but not too bad.

I'm sure having a fully planted home is a lot nicer for a vegetarian. He was involved in an extremely low-speed collision with an assassin snail, but he seemed to get through that all right.

When I set up the tadpole tank I threw in a couple java ferns to give them some cover. They haven't grown much but they survived, in a tank with no substrate, no fertilization, and no light beyond the ambient room light. I am not lacking for java ferns in any of my tanks but I didn't have the heart to get rid of these survivors, so I tossed them to float around in my betta tanks. There at least they get a light for a few hours a day.

The frog enclosure moved from one side of the room to the other. Not really a big deal, but I was concerned that picking it up and moving it would freak out the frog or break one of the silicone seals around the acrylic box. Fortunately both frog and enclosure got through the trip with no difficulty.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    He was involved in an extremely low-speed collision with an assassin snail, but he seemed to get through that all right.
    lol, this cracked me up.

Glad to hear everything is going well, Brhino. Hope the tadpole does well in the community tank. I'm surprised he hasn't grown any... What's the plan for when he goes full-frog?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice update mate. Nice to finally pinpoint the reason behind the slow development. A little less headscratching on your part.

The frog tank still looks really good and natural
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Hope the tadpole does well in the community tank. I'm surprised he hasn't grown any... What's the plan for when he goes full-frog?
    Well, I learned my lesson with the second one to change - I can't add a small frog in with a big frog. I'll have to whip up some kind of temporary semi-aquatic environment. Hopefully if I give him lots of critters to eat he'll catch up in size to the first one, or at least close enough that cannibalism isn't a concern.

0 Not allowed!
    Ahhh, I do recall poor #2. Well, nature's a you know what and completely unpredictable. Now that you know what #1 is capable of, I'm sure you'll be more successful with #3. lol
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    I can change the thread title if you like.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    it's been a couple months without an update, so let's do it.

The third tadpole has died. I don't know if the community tank was an unsuitable environment for it, or if whatever affliction that kept it smaller than the others ultimately led to its death. It's sad, but perhaps for the best... The tank I made for the adult(s) is large enough for 2-3 leopard frogs but perhaps not 2-3 bullfrogs. The remaining frog seems to be doing well, and even allowed me to take some close-up photographs without panicking.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast