· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldie Haven

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne
    That is a pretty impressive goldfish tank!
    Thank you!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Very striking tank! When I dive into aquatic plants, I hope I can do something half this beautiful.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TxRoper
    Very striking tank! When I dive into aquatic plants, I hope I can do something half this beautiful.

Awww... Thank you for the compliment!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    LOVE LOVE LOVE your goldfish setup. Tank looks amazing and the plants are beautiful. They fish look like they are doing great.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!

Simply Plantastic!
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Plants look fantastic!
    75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta
    Lack of planning on your part doesn't justify an emergency on my part.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Appreciate all your supportive comments! Thank you very much!

0 Not allowed!
    Wow. I've never really appreciated goldfish very much, but honestly, i think thats because i've never seen them kept like this. This tank is beautiful. especially the plants.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly
    Wow. I've never really appreciated goldfish very much, but honestly, i think thats because i've never seen them kept like this. This tank is beautiful. especially the plants.
    Thank you kindly!! I get a great sense of accomplishment from comments like this because my goal in sharing Goldie Haven has always been to advocate for Goldies being kept in planted homes, not bare bottom cages or bowls. Too many worry more about easing their workload with Goldies than about the fish actually being happy in their environment. The irony is that a well planted system like Goldie Haven practically maintains itself -- I only perform 3-5 water changes per year, not one a week like most Goldie keepers have to.

Goldie Haven is completely built around the needs of the Goldies first. The filtration, plants, lighting, even the special substrate needs. The success of the plants and the fish are testament to this. Now, as the Goldies grow, the aquascape will need to change and evolve around them. The only permanent plants are the Ludwigia and the various Anubias species. The rest will likely need to be removed for their own well-being, but are excellent & attractive place holders for future plants which are growing & maturing into completely Goldie-proof specimens. Which plants stay and which plants go will depend on the personality of the Goldies -- some Goldies are plant destroyers while others aren't. As soon as a plant gets unwanted/destructive Goldie attention that is detrimental to the plant, it will be removed for its own survival. My vision for this tank is to one day be an Anubias species tank again with regard to plants (with possibly some Ludwigia and fern centerpiece plants).

Alright, enough of my additional yammering. I'm glad this aquarium was enjoyed =)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Added video for this tank here.