· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Good decision on buying the ten gallon tank.

Will you be cycling with the fish?
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have never cycled without fish before. For this tank I took the filter off of my 2.5g tank that held 1 betta and moved the filter over to the 10g tank. I only put 1 betta in the tank at first because I was waiting for a devider to arive. It finally came in on thursday. I set that up and put the betta that was living in the fish bowl on 1 side of the devidor and have the original inhabitant on the otherside. I need to get another filter for my tanks. Cobolt now does not have a filter or a heater on his tank. My parents got mad at me when I told them that I bought a heater for a betta. They think that they do not need a heater since we have never used one on a betta tank before and all of our bettas have done just fine.

I still have not told my parents that I bought a 10g tank. I think that I am going to tell them that someone left the tank by the dumpster one day and I found it and decided to use it for the fish. They will probably believe it since they trust me and that they have seen people put stuff out by the dumpster before. Even though they live 1.5 hrs away they know what happens were.

What do you guys think would be a decent price to pay for an aquaclear 20? I am thinking about ordering one to use on this tank. I also plan to use this tank as a qt tank for when I get a lot of new fish in December. They will not all fit in my 5g qt tank so I am going to have to put 1/2 of them in 1 tank and 1/2 in the other tank. I did buy another devider so they will be seporated from the bettas.

Sorry if this is a long post. I have not slept much in 2 days and this is what happens when I do not sleep and am on AC. If you made it through all of this I congradulate you. Sorry for all the misspelled words.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ldoerr
    I still have not told my parents that I bought a 10g tank. I think that I am going to tell them that someone left the tank by the dumpster one day and I found it and decided to use it for the fish. They will probably believe it since they trust me and that they have seen people put stuff out by the dumpster before. Even though they live 1.5 hrs away they know what happens were.
    Why exactly do you want to lie to your parents over something so trivial as a fish tank purchased with your own money?

Take a step back and really think about it.... are they really so trivial they will disown you over a small purchase? (I'd highly doubt it.)

0 Not allowed!
    Please keep betta's in real tanks. I don't care if someone else thinks keeping fish in jars is cool, it really is not. Just because they are purchased in tiny cups doesn't mean they are intended to live their whole life in a jammed up space.

My 5 gallon tank cost $8 and my 10 gallon cost $12. (Brand New) I added filters and heaters so at these prices not giving a betta a larger home has no excuses.
    If you can't afford to keep them as they should be kept, then don't get them until you can.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 11-05-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne
    Why exactly do you want to lie to your parents

Take a step back and really think about it....
    You said this much nice than I ever could.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    You will have to use a divider of some kind so one Betta can not see the other or they will constantly be stressed and flashing at one another.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Please keep betta's in real tanks. I don't care if someone else thinks keeping fish in jars is cool, it really is not. Just because they are purchased in tiny cups doesn't mean they are intended to live their whole life in a jammed up space.

My 5 gallon tank cost $8 and my 10 gallon cost $12. (Brand New) I added filters and heaters so at these prices not giving a betta a larger home has no excuses.
    If you can't afford to keep them as they should be kept, then don't get them until you can.
    Couldn't help but notice the prices here when I was quickly reading through the topic - that's really cheap. Here in the uk, a tank of around 10 US gallons will set you back about 60 + (that's about $96+).

0 Not allowed!
    I moved my betta from a 3 gallon to a 31 gallon community and he is SO much happier, more active, curious, hilarious.

The bigger tank the better, and heater is essential unless you live in the tropics!

I also just got this floating log for him and he loves it, plus a live lotus plant that grows huge leaves to the top of tank that he uses as a hammock.

This is the floating log: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3956162

Spoil your betta as much as possible, really!
    African Dwarf Frogs, Betta, Dwarf Chain Loaches, Otocilclus, Ember Tetras, Amano Shrimp in one magical 31 gallon tank

Two pea puffers in another tank!

9. Default My Betta lived for 6 years

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, everyone,
    My betta lived for 6 years in a gallon bowl and was very happy until a week before he passed - very responsive, like a goldfish. I changed 100% of his water every week, taking him totally out of the bowl and rinsing the bowl and the marbles and putting him back in. I was careful not to feed him too much so his tank never got too dirty - 4 betta-gold pellets once per day. The temperature of his water fluctuated between 68-75 but he never seemed to mind. There was alot of activity around him so I think he responded to that. The betta we had before him lived 4 years so maybe some bettas accllimate to their surroundings. I know many of you wont believe me, but he was 6 when he finally passed a couple of weeks ago - we miss him :(

0 Not allowed!
    Please check the date on threads before posting.

Thanks
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff