· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Went shopping on Amazon

0 Not allowed!
    So someone had posted about getting a betta and that got me thinking that I want another one or two, so I went on amazon.com to look for some wide mouth 1g jars. The only ones that they had were way over priced so I went to the pet section of the website and found a 2 hole betta starter kit for $9.87. It does not have a filter but none of the bettas we have ever have had had them. It was the last one they had so I got it. It will be here on the 2nd. I can not wait. Once you have 1 betta you have to have more. I have not told my mom that I bought it and probably will not.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    "hunny, whats this package here that just arrived in the mail for you?" lol. Im getting a second one too, i agree, once you see other people with more you want more too!
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do not live with my parents. I have my own apartment for college. I just use my moms credit card. (I have a copy of it). I get free 2 day shipping from amazon because I am a college student.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.

0 Not allowed!
    You were going to keep bettas in one gallon jars? Tell me you are joking.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Y not? The last betta we had we just kept in a tiny plastic thing. The betta lived for 6 years with no filter or heater. We did WCs every 3 weeks or month.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Seriously? I have 1 betta in a 2.5 tank with a micro heater and filter and I feel guilty THAT isn't big enough!
    PaMeLa
    5 gallon/6.5 gallon/29 gallon/37 gallon/ 55 gallon {and a 20 gallon in my office!}

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ldoerr
    Y not? The last betta we had we just kept in a tiny plastic thing. The betta lived for 6 years with no filter or heater. We did WCs every 3 weeks or month.

Im sorry. I dont believe you.

The longest I have ever heard of a betta living is 5 years, and that is rare. Certainly not 6 years under those abusive conditions.

If you spend some more time on this site you would see that our aim is to provide the conditions for our fish to thrive and not merely survive. Many species can tolerate awful conditions, but survival does not mean proper care.
    Last edited by Aeonflame; 10-31-2011 at 01:28 AM.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    If you bought the betta from a petstore, I highly doubt that it lived 6 years also. When they come from the petstore, they are usually already 1 year old, and should live up to another 2-4 years. Also, when you buy a betta, it is usually to increase there living quarters past a cup, not to keep it the same. Just because it is living in the cup, does not mean its thriving.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red
    If you bought the betta from a petstore, I highly doubt that it lived 6 years also. When they come from the petstore, they are usually already 1 year old, and should live up to another 2-4 years. Also, when you buy a betta, it is usually to increase there living quarters past a cup, not to keep it the same. Just because it is living in the cup, does not mean its thriving.

I agree, I always feel so bad for them when I walk by them at the lfs. It makes me want to get some.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know that we had that betta for many years. The tank held probably a qt of water.

I ended up canceling my amazon order and decided to get a 10g tank to house bettas in. I set it up today and went back to the store and got 2 betta fish. 1 is in the 10g and the other is in a betta bowl until I can get the devidors for the 10g tank. I know that is not ideal for the 1 betta but I just had to have him. He is a turquoise color while the other is purpleish.

The only fish store for 100 miles is going out of buisness and will not be ordering anything else. (It is the only pet store for that matter within 100 miles).
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.