· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Oscars and live plants

0 Not allowed!
    Has any had any success keeping an oscar in a planted tank? My tank isnt heavily planted and the plants that are in there are hardy. I have placed rocks all around the base of the plants as well in an attempt to help the situation. I havent gotten oscar yet, so I wanted to hear if anyone has had any luck with this. Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    It depends on your O. Some will generally leave plants alone, but most that I've seen will either pull them out and/or tear them to shreds.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Since plants also require decent plant lights, it seems like you might just be taking a chance on not only buying lights but that it might not work with an Oscar. I think I would go with just java fern attached to wood and try to stay simple so as not to just waste time and money on something that won't work.

I can't even have plants with my blood parrots. I've tried pots, rocks piled around plants, etc.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    You can try! lol If your oscar says its time to go they will most likely get torn to shreds.
    Does your oscar go after the fake plants?
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I havent gotten an Oscar yet. I have always liked them and my tank is finishing up its cycle now. Im am debating on getting an Oscar or going with fish that are easier on plants. I have already purchased the plants and lights
    Last edited by FishFinatic; 10-28-2011 at 04:37 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know you have your plants already, so this comment does you no good right now. But in the future, if you want plants in an oscar tank, what I always kept was a bunch of banana plants in w/ oscars free floating. Some fish will entertain themselves, and you by playing with them, and if they don't, the plants will root rather quickly w/ "bananas" exposed ( looks nice that way imo, +bananas won't rot out)... The plants fast growing nature also helps remove excessive nutrients in the water! +++

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFinatic
    Has any had any success keeping an oscar in a planted tank? My tank isnt heavily planted and the plants that are in there are hardy. I have placed rocks all around the base of the plants as well in an attempt to help the situation. I havent gotten oscar yet, so I wanted to hear if anyone has had any luck with this. Thanks
    every single time i get live plants theyve lasted no longer then a month...first they move them around...then they rip them apart

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What do you think of this plant for your Oscar?
    you do not live by food alone, you do not live only for money, live in harmony with nature without harming what will you do tomorrow.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My oscar (RIP) HATED anything in his tank. He would knock toys over, rip out plants, and tear up anything in the tank.

It definitely depends on his personality.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oscars are natural "decorators". The pick up rocks with their mouth and move them about the tank. The do the same with plants and other decor. My Oscar would put so much energy into dragging around my fake plants. (I kept fake plants with my Oscar because of them liking to pull and tug things around) It's not that they dont like the decor, it's that they dont like where its at. It's just him trying to put his personality into it. I suggest getting fake plants if you have an oscar.