· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Need help getting BN to eat

0 Not allowed!
    I have a new Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus spp.) as of about six days ago. I had an algae problem where the back side of my 30 gallon tank was covered. Day after he was introduced it was goodbye algae. Now my concern is that he isn't getting enough to eat. After lights are out he comes out as expected to graze, mainly on my driftwood, then walls and rocks, which are algae free. My BN is a full grown (4 inches) male. I've tried algae disks but my firemouth in the tank gobbles them up and guards them in his corner. I've never seen the BN even approach the disk. I've also tried spinach, blanched zucchini and peas. I've looked on at the activity in the tank for 3 hours past lights out and adding the food, but have never seen him approach the veggies. Any suggestions? Also, this morning I removed a piece of zucchini and noticed some markings on one side of the slice. I think they may be depressions from where he was rasping on it. Could someone who has a pleco tell me if that's what they are? It would put my mind at ease, lol.

Last edited by hefeweisse; 10-28-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like he's munching on the veggies to me

As long as you are feeding after lights out (so the others in the tank won't steal it) , he should find the food and eat.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Me too. He's fine. Drop pellets in before lights out or the veggies and he'll take care of it. If he isn't eating much, he doesn't need it. He is still finding algae in the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Fishhook   A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228   Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Most plecos enjoy driftwood to rasp on as well. Do you have any of that in your tank?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I do, I have a very large piece of driftwood in there that he loves. During the day he attaches himself to the bottom of it inside a crevice. He also spends a large portion of the night rasping away at it. He hasn't taken up residence in any of the caves yet

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I only drop food in for mine maybe twice a week. I don't want them to get lazy and stop eating algae.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone for helping me ease my mind which can be slightly impatient/fast paced, lol. I now have a new issue with the tanks real owner, my firemouth. When the pleco comes out to graze (approx 5-10 minutes before the lights go out) the firemouth gets a little territorial. By this I mean the flaring gills and stationary swimming motion that they are known to do. This pretty much ends between about 30 min to an hour after lights out from what I can see. But every couple days my firemouth is getting injured. I don't think it's from the pleco, but rather getting too excited and running into my rocks and driftwood. Here's a photo of his newest injury, I came home and a scale was hanging from above his head.

Is this likely self injury or from the stand offs? I must note that I always see the pleco swimming away from the FM, and have never seen them actually engage in a skirmish, although the FM does occasionally rush the pleco usually from the rear or side. Does anyone have recommendations about treatments, or should I even try to treat it?