· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   Amazing job on your aquarium. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish buddy
    Also i heard that marineland put a stop sale on there stealth pro heaters.Why is that?Thanks.

My friend and I both had them heaters.... His cooked -- and I do mean cooked -- his marine tank's inhabitants. Killed everything (lost $2000 worth of fish, corals, etc)! And oh the stench! Mine nearly cooked me -- the auto shut off didn't work and I didn't know it when I grab hold of the heater to move it. Had another one that almost cooked the Betta -- it was set to 70 and I caught with the temp. in the tank at 88. The Betta probably wouldn't have lived much longer had I not seen the temp. Them things were always notoriously inaccurate and difficult to set.

Be careful with Hydors, too.... Had one literally explode underwater and I had my arm in the water past my elbow. That was scary! Luckily, all my fish equipment is plugged into surge protectors and the surge tripped the protector to shut off power. If it wasn't for that, I'm sure my fish would've been dead and I might not have felt so great either (350 watt heater). Took quite a while to clean up the glass in the tank, too. They're also very inaccurate -- to get 72-74 degrees, I had to set one to 65 degrees and another to 80 degrees (in diff't tanks, obviously).

The ones I've never had problems with are the Jagers and Marineland Visi-Therms. I have one of the latter which is almost 10yrs. old and still maintains temp. within 1 degree of setting. The Jager I have is about 3yrs. old and accurate to 1 degree on either side as well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Really good for fish to cook them in temps of 88 degrees!

I'd have to wonder how many people lost fish due to those Stealths. You read of so many people that lost prized fish and even my post above this where a tank exploded. You think of hundreds you have never heard about.

I wrote to Marineland the first time I had a problem with my heater and they swore to me they had no problems with their heaters and no complaints. That was 3 months before they did the total recall. Now you just know they were having problems long before they had the recall. I really have a problem when someone lies. That just does it for me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Marineland Stealth "Pro" are the ones that have the risk of exploding, avoid those. The earlier models I usually heard good reviews about. I still use a few of these older models, and have never had a problem but if you have a stealth pro you can send in to marineland for a replacement. Some petsmarts will take them and give you a replacement also.

I have used one aqueon stealth and its works well, its off by about 2 degrees though.

Never had good experiences with hydors. Had one cook a tank and have read a lot of other instances of this as well.

Never used Jager heaters. Probably will try them next.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some fishies with your ribbons - Lady Hobbs   coreys need company - Lady Hobbs   Celebrating my first batch of bred shrimp! - kurly   Because I love my Bolivian Rams :D - kurly   So my first Bolivian won't get lonely - kurly   
    Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - kurly   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - kurly   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - kurly   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - kurly   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - kurly   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith
    The best/accurate heater is kind of like asking someone what the best soda drink is. Everyone has their own opinion of what is working best. I hear the jager brand is one of the better ones. Think it is safe to say any heater can fail.

The stealth heaters had lots of issues, there were a few reports of them actually exploding in tanks, if you do a google search can see some posts in other forums of some broken tanks cause of them. Most of the cases with the stealth heaters had to do with leaking voltage into the tank or not turning off when they should, resulting in tanks getting overheated and cooking the fish. At first only a few models of the stealth heaters were being recalled, then eventually they recalled all the models.

Here is the recall notice http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11202.html

There is a phone number you can call to get the cash back or get a replacement heater in exchange for any old stealth heaters you may have.
    Great... I didn't realize that they recalled ALL of the Stealth Heaters. Thought it was just Stealth Pro... I've had my Stealth heater for about 3 years now in my 65 Gallon tank.. Guess I better make that call now

I know this is an old thread... just wanted to buy a new heater for my 10 gallon tank and thought this thread would give me some direction as to which one I should get and it gave me even more.

*Edit.... Just got off the phone with the 800 Number. They are sending me a VisaTherm Deluxe in 7-10 days. Gotta research that one and try not to worry about my tank exploding until it gets here..
    Last edited by kurly; 01-13-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   cheers - Northernguy   This should help to clean up the coffee - Thanks for the rep as well - Cliff   A morning like this requires HOT Coffee! - 850R   thanks for the rep! - sheamurai   
    Autism - Fishin Phil   

0 Not allowed!
    I've been an ebo-jager man for past 10 years or so. Never had any complaints.
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some fishies with your ribbons - Lady Hobbs   coreys need company - Lady Hobbs   Celebrating my first batch of bred shrimp! - kurly   Because I love my Bolivian Rams :D - kurly   So my first Bolivian won't get lonely - kurly   
    Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - kurly   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - kurly   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - kurly   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - kurly   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - kurly   

0 Not allowed!
    Appreciate the info. If I had the money for another heater, I would entertain that thought but until I do I'll have to wait for the replacement. They put you between a rock and a hard place regarding this recall. You either get your money back but FIRST have to return the stealth heater (I can't do that because I dont have an extra heater lying around here for me to put in the tank while my heater is being returned) OR take the only other heater they offer as a replacement (Visa-Therm) and then return the Stealth. I hope there won't be a recall on the Visa-Therm too.

I need to change the water in my tank today. Just hope nothing happens before I get the replacement heater in the mail.
    Last edited by kurly; 01-13-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Aqueons must be on the worst list then. I've have two and both had to be set at 84 to give me a tank of 76-78. (150 watt on 29 gallons.)
    My experience has been completely different with the Aqueon Pro Heaters. I've have had a 200w and a 100w in each of my tanks for over a year now and they are always spot on.