· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Buying corals

1. Default Buying corals

0 Not allowed!
    Would you reccomendd buying corals off of cragislist? I know that it will be cheaper then the LFS...but is it legal and how can i tell if the coral is healthy?
    Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    As far as i know, the only time you have to worry about potential legal issues is when you collect corals form the ocean, or ship them internationally.

Personally I would recommend a little research before you go to check out the coral. Read up a little and find several pic of what a healthy one should look like so you know what your buying.

If you get corals either from a hobbyist or a store, I would suggest using a coral dip while acclimating them to your tank. That way you wil not have to worry about introducing something nasty (like flat worms or parasites) into your tank. The below is the dip that I use and have had good luck with

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/revi...ct=430&cat=500

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As far as legal issues are concerned, its going to vary from state to state, but generally speaking, as the buyer, youre not going to witness any legal problems. Usually legal issues arise from sellers who sell large amounts and are not licensed to do so.

With that being said, I highly recommend buying corals off of Craigslist. Its common practice down here in Orlando, and I partake in this on both ends of the transaction. You can get real nice pieces at significantly lower prices and you can find some rare collector pieces as well.

In regards to health, its hard to give any brightline rule. Aquarists differ in what they look for when purchasing corals. I personally look for color and polyp extension both of these usually have to be good for me to purchase any coral. Also look at the display tank where the frag came from. That can give you a quick yet good overview on the health of the coral and the system it was grown in.

I also absolutely agree with Cliff. You should research whatever you find on Craigslist and get an understanding of it requirements, compatibility, and look at A LOT of pictures to get a good understanding of what you should be looking for. Using a coral dip, as Cliff recommended, is a great idea. Its really simple and can save you a lot of headaches down the road.
    220g South American
    90g Reef
    20g Reef
    20g Reef

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    P.s. Craigslist can be dangerous and at times it may be wiser to forego a transaction than risking any potential problems. It's always good to have a few conversations, whether email or phone, prior to traveling to someone's house. It's not that I'm paranoid - just careful, lol
    220g South American
    90g Reef
    20g Reef
    20g Reef

0 Not allowed!
    I'm personally a fan of getting corals through a local reef club. Personally I would be leery of buying off craigslist simply because you don't know the tank they are coming from. It is a good practice to dip all the corals you planning to add to your tank, but if this is not something you do, you may find yourself with some unwanted guests from a CL coral you got a great deal on. This is typically an advantage of a reef club. You know the people and their systems. You generally are familiar with the issues they've been having, if any, and know how to proceed accordingly. For example, if you know someone is having issues with Red Bugs, you probably don't want corals from their tank.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    I'm personally a fan of getting corals through a local reef club.
    Interesting. I guess I never checked into a reef club. I really would like to find some good deals...:P

0 Not allowed!
    I have bought 95% of our coral from our local reef clubs and always have good luck with them. Heck half the time people give it away just to make room in their tanks, especially to new people. I personally have 8 or 9 good sized colonies that we didn't pay a dime for.

I also sell coral through a few local reef clubs on a regular basis. To me its a lot better selling to members of a reef club then to someone on craigslist, who may or may not have the means to care for the coral

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump