· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mean tetras?

0 Not allowed!
    I used to have a school of about 9 or so black skirts. One would just NOT cool down, so he is now permanently housed in a 10 gallon with some neons and glo-lite tetras. The other 8 seem much happier, too.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, fish have personalities just like humans and just like humans, you have a mean one every now and then.
    New chatroom!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    this morning I noticed that one does seem to be very aggressive compared to the others..... he is chasing everyone around, and clinging really close to them. Out of all of them, the mean one is actually the smallest one!
    The one I've had for a while now that I was worried about is doing much better, he is out swimming with everyone instead of hiding.

the biggest one of all seems to be the one getting picked on the most... her fins are starting to look a little torn up. If I seperate one from the group, should it be the bully or the bull-ied?
    55 gallon - 3 bala sharks, 3 swordtails, 4 corys, 1 common pleco

20 gallon - 3 black kuhli loaches

5 gallon hex- 1 male betta

29 gallon - to be set up (trying for a cichlid tank)

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, take him back to your LFS or put him in a tank by himself.
    New chatroom!

0 Not allowed!
    I've had the same 9 black tetra's for nearly two years. I just love the little guys. I got 5 whites thinking they would be good company but forget it! The whites went after the blacks constantly. I removed the whites and kept them alone in their own tank. I added them to my list of "never to buy again" along with the mollies and danio's! :)

Tetra's do not interact with one another nor skoal together.

0 Not allowed!
    When I had mixed variety's of tetras mine did fine together. IDK what was wrong with mine.
    New chatroom!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well fortunately my friend took the whites for me...... I didn't have room enough to increase both shoals, or an extra cycled tank to put one group in. So, I opted for the blacks and just got the four more to make a shoal of 7. Originally these tetras were some of my favoites... but now I'm starting to wish I'd gotten that cute little bunch of cory's instead!

thinking about checking with the store when I get home from work, see if they will take the black skirts back. I'm all about a peaceful tank... really don't like it when the inhabitants fight.

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard of some that had problems with their black skirts but I never had a bit of problems. Maybe because I've always had 9? The angels like to chase them now and then but they get along with everything. At least for me.

I also had the rosy tetra and didn't like them either.

0 Not allowed!
    Corys are some of the neatest fish I own. Glowlight tetras are neat to watch as well, you can look at a school of them.
    New chatroom!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok so the lfs is going to take back the tetras, I can't stand them fighting like that all the time... hopefully they will settle down back in a tank with like 30 of them haha.

now that the 20 gallon sits with only a pleco (a fast growing, crazy pooping one though) I was thinking about getting some corys.
    Would it be bad to have only bottom dwellers though? Too much competition for food? The pleco is moving soon...but the 55 gallon isn't quite cycled.

how many corys will work for 20 gallons?

they are very cute.. but my friends seem to just hide all the time. Is that normal?