· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mean tetras?

1. Default mean tetras?

0 Not allowed!
    I have 3 black skirt tetras, and 2 white. They've seemed a bit like loners since I got them, and never really have shoaled.... but recently I've noticed that they are being really mean to each other. Two of the black ones gang up on the other black, it always hides behind plants or this log thing I have in the tank. And when I feed them, he just sits there still. I've been worried about how much he's getting to eat...

The two white skirts have their "spots" in the tank that they guard very aggressively, and pretty often a white and black meet in the middle to fight...

I'm assuming I was wrong in thinking the black and whites would group together...wondering if maybe the problem is that they aren't with enough of their own kind to feel safe... anyone know?
    55 gallon - 3 bala sharks, 3 swordtails, 4 corys, 1 common pleco

20 gallon - 3 black kuhli loaches

5 gallon hex- 1 male betta

29 gallon - to be set up (trying for a cichlid tank)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There are always pecking orders, but maybe indeed they feel that they can't shoal becuase they are different species...
    sorry it isn't working.
    Currently: Spotted Blue-eyes, two species of Australian shrimp, Ornate Rainbowfish, Guppies, Corydoras, goldfish.

0 Not allowed!
    Your tetras generally like to be in schools of at least 5. When the schools are too small they try, unsuccessfully, to establish a pecking order.

What size tank is this? Are there other tank inhabitants?
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    it's a 20 gallon. And they share the tank with a common pleco. (Plan on moving them into my 55 gallon as soon as it finishes cycling).

I'm thinking about giving them to my friend (the white skirts) and trying to make a bigger school of black. See if that helps.

0 Not allowed!
    That 55 is likely to eventually be too small for the common. He can and probably will get over a foot long.

Depending on the size of the common pleco you are well understocked with only 5 skirt tetras. Could easily increase the schools of both if you so choose.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    right now he is about 5 inches. but he is growing fast, probably started at about 2 in when we got him a few months ago. I know that he will eventually grow too large for the 55 as well, as will the bala sharks that are already in it. For now though, this is the best I can do. Soon, after moving to a bigger place, I want to set up a 75-100 gallon for the sharks, I have three now and want a couple more, and the pleco. Then use the 55 for a community tank with the existing tetras and swordtails, adding in some corys and other small fish we haven't picked yet... keeping the 20 gallon for an incubator tank.

I think I'll get some more black skirts soon, I like them a litle better than the white... might get 3 or 4 more.

0 Not allowed!
    Ithink if you go with a group of 5-6 like GM72 said they will be fine I have mixed tetras in most of my tanks and have found that groups of that size seen to do really well
    Go ahead - try to count my Bumblebee Gobies!

72 Gallon Bowfront
    Angel, Sharks, Tetras, Fire Eel
    30 Gallon
    African Butterfly, Violet Goby, Tetras, Danios
    30 Gallon
    Clown Loaches, Neons, BumbleBee Gobies, Tetras
    10 Gallon
    Baby Platies

0 Not allowed!
    Calla, good to hear you are ready to upgrade when needed. You'll see a nice change in behavior when you increase the size of the school.
    8 tanks running now:

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well so far so good! We got four more black skirts today, and shortly after introducing them to the tank, they already have started to shoal more!

... the same one in particular that I was worried about before is still hiding a lot, and not swimming with the group very much. I'll give it a few days to see how he adjusts..

0 Not allowed!
    Tetras are known to be fin nippers. They will calm down once they get used to each other, if it don't, you will need to separate the aggressive ones.
    New chatroom!