· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Unhappy Lost a mini-clam today

0 Not allowed!
    Just noticed today that one of my three mini clams' shells is open (he is le dead).

How long have others' mini clams lived? This little dude only enjoyed about 6 months with my critters before kicking his adorable mini bucket.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wonder how old he was when you got him? Is there a way to determine clam age? Sorry i know nothing about clams, hope your other two do fine.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't really know how old he was, either. I suppose he was fully grown, but that's probably the only clue I'll ever have. He was really neat while he was around.

Thanks for your response :)

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cee
    Just noticed today that one of my three mini clams' shells is open (he is le dead).

How long have others' mini clams lived? This little dude only enjoyed about 6 months with my critters before kicking his adorable mini bucket.

Did you ever feed him?
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No - I've always just let my clams filter any leftover gunge out of the water - e.g., fish food, algae, etc. Is there a way to feed clams in a targeted manner?

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Your clam probably starved to death. Try phytoplankton next time. I just add some to my tank. Lots of other posts on this forum about clams as well, though it can take a little sifting to find useful info.

Some info from "Uncle Willy" here- http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...t=81670&page=2

Native freshwater mussels (Unionids) can live up to 100 years - they are pretty tough critters if they survived all the nasty chemicals that were present in the water during the industrial revolution, high levels of mercury, etc. EKFISHLOVER, Many of these are protected, threatened or endangered so that's why you can get in some serious trouble if you are spotted with the wrong critter in your hands. However...
    Freshwater clams (Corbicula) are introduced, small, short-lived and very abundant. (They are easily disinguishable from the Unionids because of their size and rows of ridges in their shells). This makes them ideal for your first trial of keeping clams, but I wouldn't pay for them... they are everywhere. Go scoop up some of these guys and try them out.

As mentioned by Cermet and Scrup, they've just got to be fed properly. They aren't like fish where you can feed them a few days, them leave them be for a few days. They need a constant supply of food (and flow) so that they can filter out tiny particles and feed off of them. The reason why most clams die in aquaria is that they slowly (very very slowly) starve to death. Since they don't have a visible mouth or belly - people just don't know if they are getting enough food.

In our fish lab, we are holding some gigantic Georgia elephant-ears (Elliptio dariensis) and Altamaha slabshells (Elliptio hopetonensis) in a 220 gallon tank. We feed crushed pellets and flakes each day when we feed their tankmates (warmouth, bluehead chubs, and channel cats - all messy eaters). This summer, we would also bring in about 50 gallons of deep-green, plankton-filled water from our catfish ponds and dump it in the tank. The water was crystal clear in 18 hours from them filtering the water.

Sorry for the tangent, but the moral is... a constant supply of food is needed, but as you can imagine, keeping ammonia down when constantly dumping crushed food in can be a tough task, but it is doable. So just start out small with a few individuals, keep an eye on water quality, make sure they stay open and you can see them filtering, and you should be good.
    Last edited by Scrup; 09-27-2011 at 01:34 AM.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to have to check this out. My clam's two buddies are still kicking and I don't want them to meet the same fate. Thanks for the info :)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As it turns out, shortly after my first clam died, so did the other two. My poor little dudes. The silver lining is that mini clams are delicious to some of my other critters... :/

If I ever get clams again, I'll be sure to have some munchies on hand for them, specifically. Thanks for the info, guys.

-cee