· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Lightbulb Suggestion Re: Feeder Block Sticky

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to suggest that a sticky thread be put up in the snail and/or general invert threads to warn about the danger posed by "weekend feeder" type food blocks, particularly the plaster types.

I lost my first apple snail to one. He suffered from copper poisoning for three days before I euthanized him. It was a horrific experience and the sort of mistake that anyone new to snails could make; it took me two days before I determined what it was that was killing him. There was no warning on the packaging and I am disgusted with the companies that make these cheap blocks.

I don't have the background to write such a thread confidently, or to address the effects on other inverts, although I believe the copper levels found in these blocks are also hazardous to crustaceans.

0 Not allowed!
    Is copper even listed on them as an ingredient? I didn't know they contained copper. They've been selling those things for years and you'd think if they caused deaths, they'd pull them from the market. They do stink, tho, and generally rot and mold before fish will eat them.

Ingredients:
    Daphnia, Agar Agar, Locust Bean Gum, Xanthan Gum, Yeast Extract, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Inositol, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, A-Tocopherol-Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Palmitate (source of Vitamin A), Cyanocobalamin (source of Vitamin B12), Cholecalciferol (source of Vitamin D3), Biotin. Coloring agents: Red 3 Dye.
    Preservatives: Ethoxyquin, Calcium Propionate, Potassium Sorbate, and Citric Acid.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 10-15-2011 at 11:30 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My understanding is that copper isn't an added ingredient, but some component is high in copper.

I'm certain this was what killed my apple. He was just fine, I added the block, two days later he couldn't even right himself on the substrate. I've tried to find the link online that substantiated this, but it was years ago. Some sites even recommend the blocks as a source of calcium, so I'm having difficulty with this.