· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 6.8 gallons with dirt :)

0 Not allowed!
    So, I picked up a 6.8 gallon tank for $5 the other day, which I intend to set up as a planted tank with dirt substrate, and make it home to a betta.
    Anyway, this is what I got for my $5:

The tank is pretty grubby, it came with a couple of rocks and a small bit of driftwood, and the pea gravel. I'm actually considering using the gravel on top of the dirt, since I already have it, and it doesn't look TOO bad.

The tank also came with a book....

This paragon of wisdom is from 1955 (or earlier).

Anyway, the tank is currently hanging out in the yard, filled with water. I'm going to leave it out there overnight to make sure there are no slow leaks.

0 Not allowed!
    Nice tank, something like that would cost me a lot more than $5 to get here! Looks like it should clean up nicely. I see you didn't keep the interesting stickers

0 Not allowed!
    The book is a bargain. An antique at 56 years old.
    I hope you don't get the library late fees.

:)

Good pickup on the tank. Gravel looks fine.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    The book is a bargain. An antique at 56 years old.
    I hope you don't get the library late fees.

:)

Good pickup on the tank. Gravel looks fine.

Hmm can you imagine that, a 5 cent late fee per day for the past 56 years:P 20440 days at @5 cents = $1022, worse if they factor in interest!

0 Not allowed!
    Heh I wondered about that, but it had a big "withdrawn" stamp on the back, so I'm guessing the library doesn't want it anymore! Anyway, the tank doesn't seem to be leaking

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of (useful) information can you find in a book about aquariums that is over fifty years old?

0 Not allowed!
    Well, progress is slow but sure.
    I had an old light fitting sitting around, so I have ordered a new bulb that fits it (compact fluorescent pll 18watt), which should be plenty of light for a little tank. The fitting overhangs the tank a bit (2 inches too long), but it doesn't look too bad.

I dug through my old aquarium stuff and found my old trusty sicce scuba 50watt heater and a cicce shark pf internal filter that I used on my first tank about 10 years ago, but everything still works surprisingly well. The filter is a bit big and bulky for the tank, but hopefully I can get some driftwood in there to block most of the strong current..
    I couldn't find the filter media from the filter (a sponge and a small baggie of biomax I had in it back when I was using it), until it dawned on me that I had thrown all my filter media into the canister on the 45 (the filter bucket is 3 gallons, there was room...). Which means I will pretty much have a cycled filter all good to go, just need to fish the little bits of media from the big filter :)

So as soon as my light gets here, I can put in the dirt, then the pebbles, plant it, and go hunting for a betta!!

Edit: The book was pretty vague about pretty much everything, but it did adress things like problems of gas exchange in a small tank, and advised getting a tank with a large surface area to volume ratio, which I thought was pretty progressive for 1955 fishkeeping :)
    Last edited by dizzydezzy; 10-13-2011 at 09:44 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by enzof9
    What kind of (useful) information can you find in a book about aquariums that is over fifty years old?
    A lot of older books had great illustrations in them. Seen a few from the early 1900's that are very well done. Even most of the information on them is still valid. About the only real difference is some fish have had their names changed, as more was found out about them.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Make sure when you dirt this tank, you plant the crap out of it. It'll grow into a gorgeous jungle and... help absorb the excess nutrients. Also, make sure for the first week or so you do big (50%+) waterchanges to get the excess nutrients out. A lot of people don't do that and it can overload their bb in their filter
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

Default Couldn't wait...

0 Not allowed!
    So, today I got a nice chunk of polystyrene to put my little tank on, which means there was really nothing stopping me from putting the dirt in and filling it with water to see what it looks like... Mostly I wanted to test the filter (make sure it's not too strong), and adjust the heater (it was previously set up to heat a larger tank, so I want to make sure it's at the right setting before I put anything alive in there). I will definitely do about a 95% water change when I get the light bulb and go out to buy the plants.. Anyway, I took pictures.

I used organic compost that I happened to have around for gardening purposes. It made a very satisfying sloppy mud, which I covered with a very thin layer of sand, since I had some sand sitting around from an old brackish tank years ago.

Then I topped it off with the gravel that came with the tank.

Filling up - the water is actually surprisingly non-muddy! Also, I have a 6 gallong (once you take the space out for the gravel and other stuff) tank, and a 3 gallon bucket. 50% water changes on this little thing are going to be a breeze :P

locked and loaded!

The filter is not too powerful as far as I can see (I'm running it without media just to test it out, and it sure is lively, but I don't think my future betta friend it going to be plastered against the opposite tank wall or anything).

The heater is still getting the tank up to temperature, but seems to be working well...

I CAN'T WAIT FOR MY LIGHT TO GET HERE SO I CAN PLANT THIS THING!!!