· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Talking African Knifefish?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm planning on getting a 75g or larger tank and was wondering if I could keep an African Knifefish (Xenomystus nigri) in a tank of at least 75g?

The only tank mates that are definite are Bristlenoses and Pictus catfish but another very likely tank mate is a Chinese Algae Eater. Would these fish be compatible?

I'm not making any quick decisions it's just always been a fish I'd love to own and so I was just wondering if I could, personal experiences with the fish are very welcome! :)

0 Not allowed!
    Both the African knifefish (Xenomystus nigri), and the pictus cast fish, can both get as big as 12" (30cm). I think two big fish like that would may not be the best choice for a 75 gallon. As the pitus catfish is aggressive, a 75 gallon is not big enough for two very large fish to have they own territory and this could lead to alot of problems with aggression. Even with a tank that is a lot larger than 75 gallons, I would be concern about the pitus catfish being too aggressive.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish...nknifefish.php

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/pictuscatfish.php
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff, that profile on the Pictus is way off. Even the Colombian caught Pictus only reach 8" and the Peruvian variety only 5". I've seen 12" Pims, but that was P. blochii. As for aggression, I've never seen an aggressive Pictus.

Because of the behavior of the African Knife, I personally would judge a 75gal to be sufficient for it, as well as a Pictus cat and a Bristlenose Plec. You will definitely need good filtration, and you will also need to keep up with your water changes, but providing both of those conditions are met, you should be just fine.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Good to know
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you! :) It is a fish I will probably plan around when I get my new tank then! Definitely not an impulsive buy until I've done a lot more research but just glad to know my tank mates would be okay! :)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a violet dragon goby and a few mollies with my African Knife. They all got along just great! But of course, temperaments can change, and all fish are different.

Good luck to you!
    "You can never do too much research. The more the better."

55g - 2 Green Spotted Puffers, 5 assorted Platies, 1 Goldfish, 1 Pictus Catfish.

(And my beloved Betta Fish, Crescent and Reginald Maroon Cinco - Both in 5 Gallons alone.)

Past critters:
    Snowflake Moray Eel, Sengal Bichir, Violet Dragon Goby, Assorted Angels, Baby Whale Fish, Royal Farlowella, African Knife, Assorted Mollies, Lavender, Gold, and Kissing Gouramis.