· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Holy smokes! That's big enough that you could swim with your fish!
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid
    ~Albert Einstein

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, no progress made yet, rain/snow all day. I did buy a 100 pack of razors, some more guitar strings, and some flat box cutter things. I tried the fishing line out, but All I have is 6lb, 8lb, 15, and 60lb. the first three break way too easy (they get cut on the glass) and the 60lb is just too fat. The guitar string I have is as thin as the 6lb test, but metal. Should work pretty well.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You will never break the guitar string. Should work good. If your looking for something thin get the high "E" string in the lowest gauge.
    "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress may be judged by the way it's animals are treated", Gandhi
    Shark fin soup... A bowl of Travesty I will NEVER stomach".

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah the one I got is like .011. Should work pretty well.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    ok got all the internal seals done and hit as much as I could on the top with a razor. Got both ends of the top totally cut, just have the long front and back. Having to look into stuff to dissolve or soften the silicone. After talking with the store owner (who also built the tank originally) it was clamped in some places, and those are REALLY easy to find now. I cannot fit anything into the seams at all. Not even the edge of the razor. Going to hit everything I can and try some Silicone-Be-Gon and vineger. Seems those might help some.

Also, the guitar strings work, but most of the seams are too tight to even fit the .011 gauge into. And I have tiny cuts all over my hands from the strings snapping. Boy does that sting.

So yes, some progress, but not much. Still not bad for a few hours work. Probably 3 pounds of silicone removed. It was about a half inch thick on the inside.

0 Not allowed!
    Most important question, what are you going to stock that with?

I am insanely jealous, if it were mine Id have Viejas in there no question
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    with any luck I will be able to get 4 viejas regani!!!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I recommend wearing leather gloves. I can't believe the guitar strings broke. That sucks!... Sorry.
    "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress may be judged by the way it's animals are treated", Gandhi
    Shark fin soup... A bowl of Travesty I will NEVER stomach".

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, got the top off finally. I did break a few small pieces, but both of them were already chipped pretty bad from the move, so it didn't take much to start them cracking. Luckily they are small guys, so I might be able to pick up replacements for cheap. The top is a mosiac of little pieces, so getting them off will be hard, but its cheaper than replacing a big panel.

Also, I stopped by lowes to see what they had as far as razors and piced up some stuff- goof off.

I'm pissed I didn't get this earlier. Doesn't dissolve the silicone, but it makes it MUCH softer and pliable. Its a strong mix of strong acetone and toluene.

So, I have most of the sides cut and about 1/2 of the bottom. I have learned more about razor types and thickness than I ever thought possible.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Got all the panes off but one.

Note to self, you should wait until someone else is there before cutting loose the 10' long 250lb sheets. Or at least make sure you have a clean area to lay it down in.

My arms are jelly right now. I'm gonna wait until I have some help for the last piece.

Supposed to snow tonight, was hoping to get it in before the first snowfall, but it looks like I wont be able to.

Also, the substance that ended up helping the most, was 91% isopropyl alcohol. Doesn't soften it like the other stuff so much, but it really works its way into the seams and makes the silicone come off the glass, and it doesn't come with a label that says "IF YOU CAN SMELL THIS PRODUCT YOU DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT VENTILATION". Nasty stuff. The alcohol I can slop around everywhere without much of a care. i just takes more treatments and lots of wiggling to work it in via capillary action, but once it does its magic I am golden. Also reminded me that I have lots of cuts on my hands.
    Last edited by Scrup; 10-25-2011 at 12:14 AM.