· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Was thinking of building my own top for the tank out of fibreglass or acrylic. Man that stuffs expensive!! It would cost me more for material then just coughing up the $84 for the Glass top (72"x18") from Big Al's. I will just have to do a few modifications to it. I went to Petsmart the other day and saw the Fluval FX5 filter onsale for $268.99!!! The same ones onsale at another LFS for $349.99 and $399.99 @ Petland. Man if I only had the cash right now. Still trying to sweet talk the Wifey. LOL

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Since I'm putting the tank in a wall. I decided to paint the sides black. I'm making a custom black cover board for the back. That way I can remove it during maintenance, WC, aquascaping and actually see what I'm doing.
    IMG_1663 - Copy.JPG
    Got two light coats on and will do another tomorrow...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayfish
    Was thinking of building my own top for the tank out of fibreglass or acrylic. Man that stuffs expensive!! It would cost me more for material then just coughing up the $84 for the Glass top (72"x18") from Big Al's. I will just have to do a few modifications to it. I went to Petsmart the other day and saw the Fluval FX5 filter onsale for $268.99!!! The same ones onsale at another LFS for $349.99 and $399.99 @ Petland. Man if I only had the cash right now. Still trying to sweet talk the Wifey. LOL
    FX5s are cheaper on Amazon!! I paid $211 a few months ago!
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid
    ~Albert Einstein

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I seen them. But they won't ship to Canada. On Amazon.ca they are over $349.99 + shipping. Us Canadians get the shaft. Thanks though.
    Last edited by Kayfish; 10-18-2011 at 04:58 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Kayfish, if you carefully watch Ebay, you can get a little better deal than that, even after you include shipping. I paid just a few $ over $300 for mine including shipping and Canadian Customs fees.

You can also watch Kijiji for a good deal on a used one as well
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Cliff, the one I saw is in store at Petsmart for $268.99. So with tax it would be around $280. I thought this was a really good deal. The cheapest i could find it at the rest of the stores around here was $350. I'm lucky where I live now. I have 6 LFS within 5-10 min from my house. Petsmart, Petland, Big Al's, Pisces Pet Emporium, Franco's Aquarium, and Riverfront Aquariums.
    They only have one on the shelf and I really wanna grab it before someone else does! Thanks though, I will keep an eye out.

0 Not allowed!
    This is coming along soooo great. It looks like a brand new tank. Awesome job. I am so impressed and also jealous.

Now, to get this free tank installed, it will only cost you $3000 to remodel your home! LOLOLOL

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Hobbs. Hahaha. That's about it. The good thing is we gutted the basement last spring so we could remodel it. Well before I got the tank. So now it's just working it into the plan. Well... My plan. The wife isn't really excited like I am.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well just an update. Got the removable back cut and one coat of paint on. Got the brackets made and painted. One more coat on the sides of the tank and trim. Now here's the Kicker!... Had a leak in the roof of my house. That was a $19,000 touch!! So this means the basement Reno and tank setup are going to be pushed back. I will keep Moving along is best I can for now.
    "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress may be judged by the way it's animals are treated", Gandhi
    Shark fin soup... A bowl of Travesty I will NEVER stomach".

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's the removable back.
    photo 1.JPG
    The brackets to be mounted to the table to hold the back.
    photo 2.JPG